Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any experience with the Sekonic L-858d-U

Re: Any experience with the Sekonic L-858d-U

Hi IC-RACER,

It looks like I can do those things too with the 858. I have similar looking screens as well. I can change the mid tone and set different ranges to zones. I have not figured out how to do it in application yet....

The manual is pretty extensive!!

I love how I can take several readings and store them and then have it apply the average value across those. Plus having the ability to store all my filters and their associated compensation values is awesome.

I'm curious why you are using the meter to calculate an f-stop and not a shutter speed. Don't you figure out what aperture your shot needs and then have the light meter figure out what shutter speed you need given all your filters and stuff??? That's how I do it.

Am I in left field on this???

I used a pre-drawn image from the manual. It happens to show that mode, but yes, the other mode will then show times on the scale at the bottom.
    The colorful scale is from your meter. It looks like zone friendly but I wasn't sure I could figure out how I could put some zone sticker on it or set the exposure on the low arrow.

Maybe you can expand on your explanation ic-racer? I have a different meter an old Minolta Autometer IIIF. It allows me to capture and store a high and low setting and then average and display a third middle point. Is that what you're doing with your meter to determine the final exposure setting? Can you expand on what readings you take and how you do that? Is it only for BW or can you do it for color negative and chromes?

No, not averaging. I'm looking at each individual metering point and setting the lowest at a low zone and basing exposure on that one. I also am checking how far the highest one is, just to make sure the scene fits on the negative range.

IC-RACER,

Can you give me an example?

What I think you are doing is this....

Say you are shooting a waterfall. You'll meter around and find the darkest spot (you want shadow detail). Then, you set that as Zone III.

Then, I'm a little confused what you do with that, but if I'm right so far, you will then set your exposure 2-stops higher (brighter).

Example: the dark area you want detail meters at 1/15 at your chosen f-stop (doesn't matter). You will then set your exposure 2-stop higher at 1/60. The highlights go where they go.

Is that right?

Set the exposure compensation using the scale. Then any place the meter is pointed, it will give the exposure for that zone. It is the digital equivalent of having a 'zone dial' on a Pentax meter.

So, when Exposure Comp. is set to +3, the meter reads the correct exposure for Zone II. If the meter reads 1 sec at f22 when set like that and pointed at an area you want as Zone II then you adjust the camera to the indicated settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0280.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	210581

Similar to ic-racer - meter in EVs. then translate those to Zones

Example EVs. 5 (dark wet rock/shadow detail), 6.3(dark water), 8.3 (green foliage), 9 (light green) , 11(whitewater), 12.3(bright sky)
    So I would tend to put EV=5 on zone III and the sky will fall on zone-X+
    So I now know I have to contact the development to reduce contrast or shift the darkest tone to zoneII.

I use my exposure card to help me visualize the zones
    http://www.searing.photography/wp-co...re-3x5card.pdf
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography