Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Portrait lens & Chamonix F2

4x5 Portrait lens & Chamonix F2

Did a quick search but not much on this specific question. Beginner to LF, looking to buy a 4x5 set up.

I'm pretty set on getting a chamonix F2, and now am looking for the best portrait lens I can get around the 210mm/240mm range.
    What would you say is the best portrait lens I can get <2k?
    Money isn't really an issue, but not really looking at 4k for a Cooke PS945 (not 100% sold on the soft defocus look either), or a 210 Lanthar.

I've looked at this summary: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/
    Which was helpful, but some lenses like the 210mm Rodenstock Ysarex & 210mm Voigtländer Heliar are harder to find on eBay.

Many of the "best" 210mm / 240mm recommendations (ie above) also seem to come in compound #3 shutters.
    Would a compound #3 shutter be too heavy for a chamonix F2? As in some sag in the bellows or something?

I'm probably looking at a 240mm Rodenstock Ronar f9 because they are around $400 on eBay and can find one, but I'd really like one with a greater maximal aperture, maybe 4.5 - 5.6. I know I'll probably miss focus a million times on at f4.5 on 4x5, but for some reason I want to try.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best portrait 4x5 lens, ~2k or less, f/4 - f/5.6 thats currently available for sale, thats already recommended on the summary above, or not mentioned? I know opinions will vary, but I'm asking for your personal one.
    Or should I just go for the 240mm ronar f9?

I really don't care about weight either, I just want the best optical quality / bokeh. Maybe a heavier lens and a different 4x5 body than a chamonix would be suited for that.

Thank you!!

Re: 4x5 Portrait lens & Chamonix F2

I am now using a Xenar f4.5 240mm on 5X7 with Packard

Soft enough wide open

Old link

Old Schneider Xenar 240mm 4.5 in compound 1 - Covering and sample images
    Tin Can

4x5 Portrait lens &amp; Chamonix F2

Lots of options. Personally I’d go with a Fuji A 240mm. Plenty of coverage for even 8x10 in case you upgrade in the future, sharp, light, not expensive.
    The Nikkor-w’s are also good options, and a tad cheaper.

They’re not specific for portraits though. Are you looking for something with a particular rendition?

For outstanding performance in a soft focus portrait lens, one should seriously consider the Tri Tran Signature Pictorialist Lens. This is a new lens just introduced in the last year. In head to head testing, images made with the Tri Tran Signature lens compare favorably to images made with rare original lenses from the Pictorialist Era in terms or Contrast, Tonality and Clarity. Tests have included Pinkham Smith Synthetic, Struss Pictorial, Spencer Port-Land, Kodak Portrait Lens, Hermagis Eidoscope, and the modern Cooke PS 945. I find that the TT lens has a much more pleasing Bokeh than the Cooke PS 945. Check it out here: https://www.tritranphotography.com/tt-signature-lens

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

I may have not been clear in the initial post, but I'm not sold on the soft-focus look.
    I think I'd just prefer a normal, non-soft focus lens.

So now I'm hearing:
    Fuji A 240mm

But according to: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/
    The Fuji A 240mm : "It has fairly similar bokeh characteristics as German Plasmats, which is okay but disappointing compared with a Ronar, and wide open it does not come close to a Heliar, Lanthar, or Ysarex"

Maybe I should just hold out and try to find a 210mm Rodenstock Ysarex f/4.5? or stick with the 210mm Ronar f/9.

Not looking for any particular rendition, although I do love the look of the kodak aero ektar 178mm f2.5.

I think you need a 'stronger' camera that can handle a variety of glass

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/
    Tin Can

Hmm, I totally agree. I know this isn't the camera forum, but what 4x5 camera would you recommend that is "stronger," if price was no option?
    Thank you for your help.

I'd get a Fujinar 210/4.5 which may come in a Shanel or Copal3s shutter. It's a tessar in a modern shutter. Probably a couple hundred dollars; most of which is for the shutter.

There are soft focus and triplet options but they do not come with a shutter which is important for the intended camera.
    I use a speed graphic to use the soft focus and triplet lenses because it has a shutter built into the camera.

If you want a camera for portrait use and more lens options, the options are a wooden studio camera like a B&J Rembrandt or Kodak 2d on the low end.. probably in 5x7 size with a 4x5 reducing back. Then some of the used Sinar monorail studio cameras which allow Sinar shutters. Moving up as if price were not an option, a metal Canham 5x7 with a 4x5 back would be a nice choice for new.

Really, the object is not to buy one no-expense camera that does everything, but to appreciate multiple simple rugged cameras that are very good for their certain purpose.

The F2 is a backpacking camera. It has to be opened and setup. Is this what you need in a portrait camera?

Exactly!

I recently got a B&J Rembrandt 5X7 Model 1 non folding

It was made for heavy glass and has a built in QR Packard with flash sync.

It came with 3 backs and 2 Xenar all OE setup

I have a stack of glass to try on it, some really heavy and long barrel, it does need a strong tripod and head

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1132048
    Tin Can