Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor issue with Chamonix 45F2 bellows/front standard

Minor issue with Chamonix 45F2 bellows/front standard

Hello everyone,

I just got my Chamonix 45F2. I'm pleased with it overall, but noticed some issue.

As can be seen from the picture, the front standard isn't completely upright when compressed.
    This is more noticeable in real life than in pictures. I think the bellows itself is slightly slanted.

Because of this the front standard sits unevenly on the bed when folded. Also the rise/tilt knob doesn't fit the dimple on the rear standard. It's not that big deal I guess, but can't deny it bugs me.

Since it's my first time getting a field camera, I don't know if it's something I could live with. Do other cameras have this symptoms? It would be great if I could hear opinions from other Chamonix owners.

Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KakaoTalk_20201207_190523176.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	210301

Name:	KakaoTalk_20201207_190523176_01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	210302

Re: Minor issue with Chamonix 45F2 bellows/front standard

You probably are not folding it up correctly. There is a bit of a trick to it, but the screw that tightens the front standard to the bed should end up pointing towards the front of the camera -- check out the photos of the camera closed on their website.

I have the 11x14.

Edited to add: Whoops, it seems the photos of their other cameras of the same design show the screw pointed forward when folded -- but not the F2. The others can be folded either way, but by putting the screw forward there is less stress on the camera hinges when closed. So you might just give it a try and see if screw forward is a better fold for you. The asymmetrical tilts give it a little bit of a different back design than their other formats, but judging from the videos I have seen of this camera in use, it is worth a try.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Went to check my 45N2
    The same happens when compressing the bellows, the two standards don’t align perfectly:

Name:	11F3C18A-49E0-4108-B782-1835CBD34EA4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	210304

But once the camera is set up, the two standards are quite parallel:

Name:	3FBD5FFA-5CF5-4BAC-B6C0-B4F4518DED91.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	210306

Name:	D9BDACF8-DAE5-46FC-9C53-2DE091496BC6.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	210305

If the F1 has detachable bellows try to take them off and on again and see if you can get better alignment.
    Personally I don’t see the problem as long as my standards are aligned when shooting.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Same with my N2, but not that bad. Test with or without a 35mm apo-grandagon. If you have problems when focused with the grandagon or a pinhole, it's time to tell the seller.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

The seller, Hugo Zhang, is a member of this forum and will be happy to explain if you mail him.

Over the years I've noticed that a number of bellows, no matter the manufacturer, exhibit this anomaly. A total non-issue in my book...as a bellows inherent flexibility allows it to follow the geometry of its camera when in use - even with very short focussed lenses.

I suppose that if the degree of "skew" were significantly more extreme, then this could put some strain on the bellows itself when maximally compressed while folded - which could possibly cause some migration of a freshly-glued seam...but then this would be noticeable upon first use, hopefully within a warranty period!

Thank you everyone. It's relieving to hear that this is quite normal anomaly(?) with Chamonix cameras and other manufacturers'.
    Mine also is okay when set up. My widest lens is 90mm so it's even more acceptable. So no big problem there.
    I'll also make sure to check out the other folding method.

I've always used a monorail camera since now, I guess I was little bit startled because I had no previous experience.
    But with this solved, I'm ready to go outside with my F2 and start making photographs with lighter heart.

I was helped greatly from all the experienced and helpful comments. Thank you very much.

With all respect to Vaughn, I don't think you can fold up the F2 with the front standard screw facing forwards-- well, you can, but you'd have to invert the front standard every time you set it up or put it away. You'd also have to open up the zeroing latches that keep the front standard parallel to it's frame.

And for what it's worth, my bellows (45N-1c) has a couple degrees of twist when folded as well.

It may straighten out a bit more over time.

If the knob isn't sitting where it needs to, contact Hugo... your bellows may have an unusual amount of twist to it.

All of the other Chamonix formats of the same design fold with the screw forward. Yes, one needs to flip the front standard every time. It is more work, but with the other formats, the cameras store safer -- less strain on hinges. The F2 might be different.

Edited to add: The F2 has that bubble level mount on top of the front standard. Protecting that is important. Using a little of what would be normally front fall when folding up the camera would back the level mount away from potential damage, and move the knobs a little closer to the dimples.

The images of the F2 on the website just show the knob/dimple lining up when using very short lenses...not when closed.

https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45f2

Looks to be a great tool. have fun!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 8-Dec-2020 at 12:44.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

June, Not sure this is your problem. (I don't have an F2 but an H-1) But I notice the two white dots on the front standard are not lined up next to one another. That's the initial position before doing rises and falls. So if you leave it in that position when you compress the standard, you;ll be pushing against the bellows which may force the misalignment. Set the two dots on each side of the standard next to one another and try it again.