Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yosemite update

Drew Wiley

Re: yosemite update

Hardly any real industry is shut down here. Most going full steam or even faster than usual. It's service businesses like restaurants that have been hit hard, and they're a major source of the tax base for many cities in this area. We have (or had) more per capita restaurants than NYC. The tourism business has also been hit very very hard, another big cash cow of this region gone bust. I sure wouldn't want to be running an art gallery right now either. Some retail businesses have been affected, but not grocery workers. Tech industries are going full steam, but with new workarounds, doing certain tasks from home offices whenever realistic. Biotech and pharmaceutical are moving faster than ever. Construction projects and their sources of supply are considered essential and still in operation, but with certain common sense rules.
    Government itself is too broad and diverse a topic to make stereotypes about what is happening at a daily level. Many court cases are on hold, but everyone I know in the legal profession is still very busy in preparation. The postal service is busier than ever, just like the parcel delivery companies. Police, fire depts, and first responders obviously still have to be on duty. So does the military. Road crews are active. So I can't personally think of many overall Govt positions where people might be sitting around at home waiting. Just the cleanup and restorative operations after our huge fires involve significant official govt activity. Utilities are intensely involved too.
    One thing I have noticed is that there are no longer people collecting tolls on our bridges. They automated everything with license plate readers and simply bill you. The side effect is that traffic flows through those toll pinch points way way faster now, with very little backup, so the innovation will become permanent. Even the local air quality will be improved due to more efficient traffic flow. Good for drivers, bad for those folks whose income depended on standing in those little booths all day and night taking your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You're correct. I was thinking of all those people in private industry who were laid off because there was nothing or less to do because of shutdowns. So I'm wondering what happens with all the government workers who were sent home because of shutdowns. Many I'm sure, stayed home doing nothing with full pay. Nice work if you can get it.
    Whilst there will be differences between the USA and UK, here in the UK anybody working in 'conservation' or 'outdoor management' will ALWAYS have plenty to do. There is stuff to maintain, signs to replace, pathways to check on, maintain where eroded and clear of fallen branches, wildlife surveys, area condition reports and a myriad of other jobs which always get left because workers are too busy. My guess is that the last few months have been allowing some degree of 'catch up' to take place. I used to have to photograph some of these people for PR and they are never idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You're correct. I was thinking of all those people in private industry who were laid off because there was nothing or less to do because of shutdowns. So I'm wondering what happens with all the government workers who were sent home because of shutdowns. Many I'm sure, stayed home doing nothing with full pay. Nice work if you can get it.
    This is such a fallacy. With the past bills, there have been far more tax dollars going to support the people that lost their jobs than paying govt employees that could not perform any function. Most govt branches are and have been going once safety protocols have been in place. Roles have been adapted, expanded and tasks have been assigned to keep people busy as much as possible. That is true for the private sector as well.

To look at a global pandemic as some small group of the labor force benefited from it or got lucky, is just wrong.

And paying gov't workers has helped keep the economy working. Some of the hardest working people in America are the gov't employees. And of those, Park and National Forest Services employees are among the most dedicated and hardest working.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

If I insulted anyone, I'm sorry. I was a government employee once (NYC) and worked my butt off. Around 2003 there was a severe budget crunch. They laid off half the employees for lack of work due to shrinking funding. I was fortunate in that I wasn't one of them. It was a tough period. I actually worked harder as I picked up work that was left by some of those who were laid off.

I heard that Degnan's will be kept open, as well as the Village Market and Wawona Gift Shop
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Nice snow on the upper parts of the Valley at the moment, more on the way. One of my nephews still lives nearby and has been hiking up to the rim about once a week, and was on the summit of Mt Dana two weeks ago, just before the Tioga Pass road closed for the season. A few days ago he and his wife hiked up to Glacier Pt from the Valley. He can only do pre-trial research from home due to virus-related court delays, so has an unusual amount of spare time on his hands for once.