Thread: Kodak 2D Parts

Foamer

Kodak 2D Parts

I drove 300 miles west to the Badlands NP today, four hour drive one way. Pulled out my Kodak 2D 8x10 and intended to take some tin types. Set up the camera at one spot, didn't find a composition. Driving to a second spot I heard the camera go "clunk" on my back seat when I hit a bump. Went to set it up at the second location and discovered it was broken! The little short bolt that pins the rear standard to the brace arm had fallen off! Looked around in my car and didn't find it. Went back to the first spot and didn't see it there either. I now think it was very loose and suddenly gave way while in my car. It was under tension so it went flipping who knows where. Did a quick search and didn't find it. Will pull everything out of the entire car tomorrow. But, if I didn't find it, what are my options? Is there anyone with parts like this? Do I take the remaining one to a machine shop and have it copied? What a pain in the ass. Drove 600 miles, two tanks of gas, 8 hours, never took a shot on a perfect day.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Kodak 2D Parts

Is a 2D similar to a Century? This piece in the picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.41.13 AM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	210258

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Is a 2D similar to a Century? This piece in the picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.41.13 AM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	210258

That is the part in question.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

You may have to use the part on the other side as a prototype and get a machine shop to replicate it.

2D parts cvameras cvome up on e-Bay from time to time. That could be a source for an OEM part.

Of course the quick, dirty, cvheap and desperate option is to try your closest Big-Box home improvement store for something that will sort of work.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Kent, that looks like a Chicago bolt or Chicago screw. Measure ID of the hole and length you need, and look up a replacement part in McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/chicago-screws/

For brass:

https://www.mcmaster.com/chicago-screws/material~brass/

The barrel diameter will need to fit in the hole, and the barrel length needs to be the next size down from the length of your hole.

You can put an O-Ring on the screw side like they did to keep it from backing out, but obviously that doesn’t work well. Instead, put a dab of low-strength or medium strength loctite threadlocker on the screw thread.

Easy fix, but still doesn’t take away the pain of a pointless 600 mile drive. :/

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    That is the part in question.

Kent in SD
    My camera came with standard rivets in that location. I removed them to restore the camera and replaced the originals with screw rivets or the so-called Chicago rivets. Should be an easy fix. My local hardware store carried these.