Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 135mm f5.6 - Symmar-S MC or Apo-Sironar S for portraits?

Re: 135mm f5.6 - Symmar-S MC or Apo-Sironar S for portraits?

Do your environmental portraits often have substantial out-of-focus areas, either in front of or behind the main subject or both, and does the rendering of those areas and of the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus matter to you?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then get the Apo-Sironar-S, run some controlled comparative tests with typical subject configurations at your typical working apertures, and keep the one you find more pleasing.

If the answer to either of the questions is no, then save the effort and expense and just stay with what you already have.

If you are thinking spending that $600 will get you noticeably better performance in the 135mmm range, then I think you will be disappointed. Both 135s are terrific lenses. The MC Symmar-S lenses are outstanding, and I use the 135 version often and it never lets me down. Neither would come to mind as portrait lenses, I'd go with something longer. Like a 180 or a 240. If you have a 210 that should do it. It doesn't sound to me like you need anything you don't have.

Try this for fun
    https://dofsimulator.net/en/
    Tin Can

I use Nikon 135mm f2 lens on 35mm or Digi wide open
    Tin Can

Thanks everyone for the reply! You actually convinced me to just stick with the lens I have and skip the other one. I've never actually had any issues with it quality-wise so there's no reason to change anything. Plus, I'm way too lazy to do any kind of systematic lens comparison.

Wise choice. IMO, the majority of modern plasmat lens designs are more similar than different. During the end of that view camera era, Schneider and Rodenstock got into a lens revision battle. Adding variations to what they have been producing for many years with the idea of getting LF image makers to purchase their new offerings.

That lens budget might be better spent on adding another focal length for your environmental portraits images. Consider a 125mm f8 Fujinon NSW. While this is not a small lens, it will produce a LOT larger image circle than any 135mm plasmat allowing ease of applying as much camera movement on 4x5 as needed. The 125mm focal length is close enough to 135mm producing similar perspective on 4x5.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the reply! You actually convinced me to just stick with the lens I have and skip the other one. I've never actually had any issues with it quality-wise so there's no reason to change anything. Plus, I'm way too lazy to do any kind of systematic lens comparison.

Back when I had more time on my hands I did a shoot off between my original Symmar 150mm (serial number in the 5's) and my APO modern Symmar in the same focal length. I shot the AF test target from across the yard. Both shutters were firing accurately, film developed at the same time in a tray. The difference in sharpness using a very strong B&L magnifier was essentially none, which was not what I expected. The newer lens had just a tiny bit more contrast, which created the impression of a little bit more sharpness, but in terms of how I could read the increasingly fine lines they were the same. I concluded that the major manufacturers have been making really great lenses for a long, long time. For whatever reason I have a lot more Schneider lenses than Rodenstock, but my only Rodenstock lens, a 75mm, is phenomenal.

There are some quite old designs like rapid rectilinears that be stunningly sharp too. Not bad for a lens introduced more than 150 years ago.

In my former period of LF, in the nineties, I found the Sironar lenses in general a tiny bit softer in sharpness (and/or contrast?). But you are comparing a much more modern APO with a non-MC, non-APO Symmar. There I would certainly see a difference. The MC lenses of Schneider had well noticeable more clarity than the non-MC and that will probably more visible with APO. I’m not so sure though whether a quite wide lens like the 135 has any need for APO corrections. I’m not an optical expert but with wide angles this is said to be a commercial vignet with little physical ground; the color shifts in focus are dissolved in the depth of field.

Im late to the party but I would advise to get the apo Sironar-S
    The price is good, and you’d be at ease knowing you own the best lens.
    Let’s face it, now you doubted your Symmar once, the seed has been planted, you may doubt it again...

You can always put something like a black pro mist 1/8 or 1/4 on a lens that’s too sharp.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals