Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in the Big City

Christmas in the Big City

Traditionally, big cities are magically illuminated this time of year.
    New York, Chicago, San Francisco.
    Plenty of cool photo ops for us guys living out in the sticks.

I'm wondering what the situation is this year with all the social distancing, social unrest, and closed stores?
    I read on line that the Rockefeller Center tree was erected but hidden from from the public by strategically placed trucks.
    That can't be very photogenic (or could it be? It's History after all and that makes it worth capturing on film.)

So what are your observations? What's going on in the big cities?
    Holiday decorations as usual, or have the big cities gone dark?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Foamer

Re: Christmas in the Big City

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Traditionally, big cities are magically illuminated this time of year.
    New York, Chicago, San Francisco.
    Plenty of cool photo ops for us guys living out in the sticks.

I'm wondering what the situation is this year with all the social distancing, social unrest, and closed stores?
    I read on line that the Rockefeller Center tree was erected but hidden from from the public by strategically placed trucks.
    That can't be very photogenic (or could it be? It's History after all and that makes it worth capturing on film.)

So what are your observations? What's going on in the big cities?
    Holiday decorations as usual, or have the big cities gone dark?

Normal here except there won't be the big Christmas concert at the Cathedral. I'm bummed about that--I go every year. Oh well.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

Complete lockdown imminent, John. No travel, though there are no restrictions on local trails except common sense distancing, which is easy. But neighborhood homes are doing their usual thing with lights and so forth just like every other year, maybe more than usual. I don't know if the Bay Bridge will be specially lit or not, or even if the computer automated lighting is still in place. Frisco and Oakland have quite a few video venues going on, but restaurants are going back to pick-up or delivery only (or downright broke), so that will diminish quite a bit of street action, just as it is supposed to. Local ICU capacity is down to around 15%, which is a bit spooky, since this area has some of the best equipped hospitals in the world. But I avoid public stuff anyway. Rather see wind-blown grass and fading leaves, and hear howling coyotes in the hills behind here. Ironically, the only people I personally know who have gotten covid got it in your city, John, in an evacuation shelter after they were helicoptered out of Edison Lake due to the fire, and couldn't return home yet. One of them was hospitalized due to smoke inhalation; but the whole family in now OK.

I wonder if Yosemite will be shut down again? Not that they do any Christmas lights up there.

Union Square has been on it's way to going dark for several seasons. IIRC.
    The department store window displays weren't anything to write home about the last time we were up there during the holidays.
    Not like in years past.
    There can't be that much left to unplug!

Our Christmas Tree Lane is lit up this year. Fresno might have a more festive light display than in the big cities!

edit: apparently the lights go out tonight. We're getting shut down.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 5-Dec-2020 at 09:51.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

It's off-season for Yosemite anyway. I imagine that the Badger Pass ski facility and anything indoors will be shut; but just check their website. It's more the hotspots in malls and beaches in popular resort towns, and big religious venues that are the concern here; holiday reunions, New Year's partying etc. The boomerang is starting to hit people in their 20's to 40's with debilitating and sometimes even fatal effects months after initial modest symptoms. That fact is just reaching Primetime news; but my wife has been aware of it for several months due to daily official updates at the clinic. They don't accept or treat any covid patients there, but routinely deal with a number of high risk medical categories, so try to be extra careful with screening. I just reprinted an old Rancheria Falls December powder snow shot, icicles on the summit of Kaiser Pk, Fourth Recess Lk frozen in Oct, etc etc.

The situation in NY this year is sick. Our crazy mayor and governor want another lockdown...

In my Hamlet, I see many dead santas, elf inflatables, deflated as I only drive in daylight

no joy in mudville
    Tin Can

I'm an ex-NewYorkah. I talked to my brother and friends and the consensus is "do not come to NYC right now".
    --

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond we're in total lockdown. All shops closed except those that sell food. No restaurants, no cinema, no Zoo, inside or outside your house only with two together, the Christmas days with three.

In Chicago and can report grey skies but still buildings here!