Thread: Need help finding an older 12-14in lens/shutter

Question Need help finding an older 12-14in lens/shutter

I have a Devin Tricolor 5x7 with no lens but mirrors and filters intact. I talked to someone knowledgeable on them and he said they usually have a 12in lens or larger on them. (focal length is quite large since it has to fit the mirrors) The camera bellows were extended to 15" when I got it, they can extend quite a but more im guessing 22" or so.

I plan on using it if I can get it working again, so far that means finding a lens for it.

I am looking for a 1930's era (or earlier) 12-14" lens/shutter combo, if anyone knows what search terms I should use on eBay or on here please tell me.

Lens board has 3 ~3mm screw holes and a ~79mm lens hole. I dont think I will be able to find a perfect match but can adapt it. Maybe if I was at a lens show
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/183952...posted-public/
    Camera
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/183952...posted-public/

Thanks

Re: Need help finding an older 12-14in lens/shutter

If my memory serves me correctly that means two things. 1) I'm having a really good day. and 2) One of the lenses commonly used on that camera was a 12" Wollensak f4.5 -- NOT the soft focus version.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for those. It seems one sold Nov 6th for $160 so thats not a bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    One of the lenses commonly used on that camera was a 12" Wollensak f4.5 -- NOT the soft focus version.
    I've owned and used both the soft focus version and the straight version of the f/4.5 12" Wollensak Velostigmat. If you do not turn the front element's soft focus ring on the soft focus version, both lenses perform exactly the same. IMO this optic is very underrated. Its f/4.5 max aperture is just a pleasure to focus on an 8x10. Lens usually comes in a Betax #5 shutter which I have even "unstuck" in the field, me having a minimal knowledge of the shutter's operation.

Foamer

I have a Wollensak 300mm f4.5 Velostigmat (uncoated) in Betax. Love that lens.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!