Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tank for 5x12

tank for 5x12

Prepping for my 5x12 camera and will likely use a tube/tank for single sheet development rather than trays so I can work indoors. Is there a metal/plastic tank that is either 3in Diameter x 12in long OR 4in+ Diameter x 6in tall? I have seen older aluminum 5 reel tanks but they are just a little short. Black ABS is getting hard to find in the hardware stores now but may have to DIY a tank with custom light traps.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: tank for 5x12

Just checked a NIKOR 4X5 tank, not quite tall enough

Maybe B&W KING 5X7 Format Stainless Steel Film Developing Tank but I don't have one to hand
    Tin Can

loujon

You could look for a Jobo 3062 or if needed the 3063 but there is a is also the 2500 series that could be used and would cost less then the 3000 series tanks.

For the record, though it will be expensive and it would likely take a while to find one, the Jobo 3004 has 4 wells sized for sheet film up to 12 inches long. That's what I used when I had a 5x12, and it worked beautifully.

Ray Van Nes

I use the 3005 which is designed for 8 x 10 or 5 x 7. The 5 x 12 film sticks out but there is room under the top. It all works fine with conventional film but with x-ray, I use at least a 5 minute pre-soak. Sometimes a line will appear where the film is sticking out so a longer pre-soak seems to solve this. There is no problem with conventional film. You can also wash the film in the tube , minimizng the handling.

I have a 3063 and haven't been able to find a pair of ribs to hold the 5x12 satisfactorily.
    I am looking for a non-reversing roller base to use with the 3005. Currently I am using the Jobo manual roller base which gets old after a while.

I've made my own tanks to my specs. We have a local Tap Plastics store that cuts all the pieces to dimensions that I give them. I glue them together. Really works out well; I've made many helpful devices and containers this way.

I found a set of a half dozen 5x12 xray film hangers for sale in preparation for using this size film.

There is a pre-made solution already for dip and dunk processing and that is for panoramic x-ray processing... The very nice holders stack nicely into a (not so) deep tank and work well... Not expensive when you find 'em... The tanks can be some style of Tupperware...

But you will need to develop in the darkroom...

Steve K