Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worthy Linhof Contenders

Re: Worthy Linhof Contenders

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Please educate me.
    Ha, little chance of that... As I might have mentioned before, I've no doubt your work-around does what you need it to--if I had a fast 75mm or 90mm, I definitely might be tempted as well, even if it meant the possibility of bouncing the rear element down 200 vertical feet of Anakeesta Slate.

At any rate, the Horseman technicals are great little cameras: here's a list for the OP for lenses that can be used without the operation Dan describes:

http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/lens_list.html

You lost me in the first two lines; gone to "Ignored".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A good, used LInhof Technikardan S.
    +1

How about the common Toyo 45A field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Why not just get a Linhof and not worry about it?
    There are good reasons so many use Linhof.
    So many available on the used market. So many in excellent condition.
    Newer or older - they last and do the job.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Why not just get a Linhof and not worry about it?
    There are good reasons so many use Linhof.
    So many available on the used market. So many in excellent condition.
    Newer or older - they last and do the job.
    Here's why....I would say as early as 5 years ago, you might be right. But today, there are more and more worthy options for 4x5. In fact, several "old" designs just keep getting updated. Look at Toyo and Wista for instance. Then there are new options such as Intrpid and Chominix. So the choices are increasing AND the camera's functions are improving.

Again, take the suggestion just above with the Horseman. There are newer options available, yet still, they make you sacrifice aspects due to the design. In the case of Chominix, there's very little sacrifice.

So, in the case of Linhof, I'm trying to better understand the lineup to see which cameras are worthy contenders to the Chominix F2. I'm not sure there are any, hence the reason for this post.

I don't want just any camera. For the $$ spent, I want to check as many boxes that I can. I look at it this way....for $1300USD I can get, x, y, z, P, D, and Q. Why would I spend $1800 or more and then only get x, y and z?

I think the Linhof name is great, but only to a point. But again, I was expecting someone to guide me on the difference models they offer that check a lot of boxes and then I could do my own research on them.

So, long answer....

It's "Chamonix". Like the French ski resort.

Re sorting out the Technikas:

https://cameraquest.com/techs.htm

There are no Linhof cameras that are anything like the majority of Chamonix's lineup. They are fundamentally different designs with fairly different design goals, and therefore different strengths and weaknesses.

Think of a Venn diagram. There are some things that one or the other does really well and the other does poorly, and some things that are comparable.

You say landscapes and portraits. There's still a lot of variability there. If I'm shooting people I usually have my Linhof. If I'm shooting landscape I lately have been using my Intrepid, or previously my Chamonix.

If I were to be forced to keep only one 4x5 camera it would probably be a Chamonix, or my Linhof MT but with several thousand dollars of overpriced accessories to be as good as the Chamonix is with wide angles.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Here's why....I would say as early as 5 years ago, you might be right. But today, there are more and more worthy options for 4x5. In fact, several "old" designs just keep getting updated. Look at Toyo and Wista for instance. Then there are new options such as Intrpid and Chominix. So the choices are increasing AND the camera's functions are improving.

Again, take the suggestion just above with the Horseman. There are newer options available, yet still, they make you sacrifice aspects due to the design. In the case of Chominix, there's very little sacrifice.

So, in the case of Linhof, I'm trying to better understand the lineup to see which cameras are worthy contenders to the Chominix F2. I'm not sure there are any, hence the reason for this post.

I don't want just any camera. For the $$ spent, I want to check as many boxes that I can. I look at it this way....for $1300USD I can get, x, y, z, P, D, and Q. Why would I spend $1800 or more and then only get x, y and z?

I think the Linhof name is great, but only to a point. But again, I was expecting someone to guide me on the difference models they offer that check a lot of boxes and then I could do my own research on them.

So, long answer....
    Just get a nice new Chamonix, and work with it. It will do everything you need it to based on your original post. Over time you will figure out what you like/don't like, and what characteristics/features you need/don't need. This will happen regardless of which camera you get or how much money you spend.

With the Chamonix, you'll be off to a very good start for a pretty reasonable amount of money, and you won't have to waste time scouring the internet trying to find the best of peoples' old, faulty, moldy junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    There are no Linhof cameras that are anything like the majority of Chamonix's lineup. They are fundamentally different designs with fairly different design goals, and therefore different strengths and weaknesses.

Think of a Venn diagram. There are some things that one or the other does really well and the other does poorly, and some things that are comparable.

You say landscapes and portraits. There's still a lot of variability there. If I'm shooting people I usually have my Linhof. If I'm shooting landscape I lately have been using my Intrepid, or previously my Chamonix.

If I were to be forced to keep only one 4x5 camera it would probably be a Chamonix, or my Linhof MT but with several thousand dollars of overpriced accessories to be as good as the Chamonix is with wide angles.
    Very well said. Thank you.