Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worthy Linhof Contenders

Re: Worthy Linhof Contenders

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Just get a nice new Chamonix, and work with it. It will do everything you need it to based on your original post. Over time you will figure out what you like/don't like, and what characteristics/features you need/don't need. This will happen regardless of which camera you get or how much money you spend.

With the Chamonix, you'll be off to a very good start for a pretty reasonable amount of money, and you won't have to waste time scouring the internet trying to find the best of peoples' old, faulty, moldy junk.
    Also very well said. Thank you as well.

This has been helpful.

I once owned a Technika iv or v and now have the Chamonix F2. The sizes of the two when folded are comparable. Sometimes I think back to that Linhof, because once folded, you can throw it around without risk and that has an advantage that makes its weight a relative burden. However I will resist the seduction to buy one again, because it’s a lot of fidgeting doing the movements, especially at the front, it’s all so small and stiff. In practice there are only one or two old lenses which you can leave on the camera when folding. With the Chamonix I feel that I’m more careful handling it, but in the end it’s faster. I have the leather protection jacket and find this not a luxury for this camera while packing in and out my backpack. The back movements of the F2 are much more versatile too btw.

Good info.

What do you think about the Technikardan and Technikardan S?

I'm wondering if this design can compete with the Chamonix F2. I've read conflicting accounts of the TK bellows range.

Can anyone confirm the widest and longest lens that camera can support with full movements?

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Good info.

What do you think about the Technikardan and Technikardan S?

I'm wondering if this design can compete with the Chamonix F2. I've read conflicting accounts of the TK bellows range.

Can anyone confirm the widest and longest lens that camera can support with full movements?

Thx!!
    There is no confusion about the bellows range. The standard double tapered bellows goes to 500mm and collapses tight enough for a 45mm lens. But shorter then 90mm it won’t allow the movements the cameras are offer. So it is interchangeable with an accessory bag bellows which allows full movements with lenses as short as 35mm and stretches out enough for a 135mm but with no movements.

Ok thanks. Let me rephrase the conflict. The bellows range WITH full movements.

So based on what you're explaining WITH FULL movements on the standard bellows the range is from 90mm to 500mm??

But even the wide angle numbers you gave differ from other sources say it's from 35mm to 150mm.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!

So based on what you're explaining WITH FULL movements on the standard bellows the range is from 90mm to 500mm??
    It depends what you mean by "full", and just to be slightly pedantic for a moment, no bellows can utilise the FULL movements of the camera, as the tilts and swings on both standards have unlimited range. The shift range on both standards is also huge (except for not having rear fall). To some degree the allowed movement range also depends on how large the rear cell of the lens is, i.e. a larger one would permit less movement than a smaller one before physically clashing with the bellows.

At ~ infinity focus a moderate degree of movements are allowed with a 90mm f5.6 lens on the standard bellows, but I would say a bag bellows is definitely needed if you want to utilise the full image circle. However this will be true of any "standard" design bellows on any camera, so the TK S45 is not uniquely hampered in that regard. If your widest lens is 90mm and you do not anticipate needing extreme movements with it, then you would probably be fine with just the standard bellows.
    Last edited by Gabe; 11-Dec-2020 at 10:26.

But even the wide angle numbers you gave differ from other sources say it's from 35mm to 150mm.

My numbers are from decades of experience with both models starting at the Photokina where the first one was introduced. But the bag bellows has changed over time. Originally it was just a bag. Now it has a spring in the middle to prevent sags.

One of the first Buyers of the original TK used it folded with a 47mm SA, added a finder to the body AND USD IT Hand held as an extra wide camera. He did that with the standard bellows. Wandered all over Hawaii shooting like that. Of course, he didn’t use movements other then focus this way.

Using a recessed lens board might give you slightly more movement with the standard bellows and a 90mm.