Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worthy Linhof Contenders

Re: Worthy Linhof Contenders

I think the Technikardan 45 s is one of the best 4x5 cameras ever made. Comparing it to most other cameras is pointless, not so much because of its excellence (there are several equally excellent cameras out there), but because of its different design.
    This gives it a versatility that few cameras can rival, the Arca F-line among them.
    My only quibble with it was it didn't offer full movements with a 90mm lens, the bellows were too compressed to allow for full rise.
    I always wanted to adapt a universal bellows from Chamonix to the TK45s, but never got around to it.

A Chamonix, Toyo 45A, Wista VX and others are high-quality cameras, but quite different creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    One of the first Buyers of the original TK used it folded with a 47mm SA, added a finder to the body AND USD IT Hand held as an extra wide camera. He did that with the standard bellows. Wandered all over Hawaii shooting like that. Of course, he didn’t use movements other then focus this way.
    This is something I do today with a cheap 3D-printed body and helical weighing about a pound or two.

The point is no camera is perfect and everything will have limitations (including price as well). I think most people are well-served by a Crown Graphic with its front standard reversed as their first 4x5 camera, and can move up from there as needed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I think the Technikardan 45 s is one of the best 4x5 cameras ever made. Comparing it to most other cameras is pointless, not so much because of its excellence (there are several equally excellent cameras out there), but because of its different design.
    This gives it a versatility that few cameras can rival, the Arca F-line among them.
    My only quibble with it was it didn't offer full movements with a 90mm lens, the bellows were too compressed to allow for full rise.
    I always wanted to adapt a universal bellows from Chamonix to the TK45s, but never got around to it.

A Chamonix, Toyo 45A, Wista VX and others are high-quality cameras, but quite different creatures.
    Add the bag bellows and you wil get all movements the lens is capable of supporting.

Add the bag bellows and you wil get all movements the lens is capable of supporting.
    Of course, but the idea was to avoid having to swap bellows.
    I found the TK a little finicky in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post

I shoot primarily landscape and portraits and would like one camera setup that can go from 75mm to 300+mm.

Thx!!!
    HORSEMAN 45FA takes the 5,6/65 Fujinon SWD on a flat lensboard, as well as 210mm lenses on extended lensboard and a Fujinon T 8/300 on a flat board. Weight is in the Chamonix class. Rigidity is much greater.

Have you ever used a Technika? Today I was out in the fog at -2°C. Linhof is when everything works easily and safely, when everything has its safe place and when you can find everything safely and precisely under the dark cloth. And when you can adjust tilt and rise and shift and focus independently of each other and also control the perspective in all four corners of the screen. When you can leave the Apo Ronar 300 in the closed camera and everything moves safely into the backpack. When you screw a carbon tube with a sunshade into the flash shoe and nothing wobbles. When you can use the 360 Apo Ronar without an extended lensboard, but with long exposure times. When there are precise zero positions that you can trust blindly. When you take portraits of people by hand and with a rangefinder. When you ... - just use a Linhof. For $1000 I would rather buy a used Technika V than a new Chamonix.

You can save weight: I tried a Leofoto LN 323 C carbon fiber tripod with a geared G2 head. It works very well.

That’s absurd, you lift up 2 tabs on the body and the front standard, remove the standard bellows. Place the bag bellows in place and push the tabs back down. Much faster then reading this

That’s absurd, you lift up 2 tabs on the body and the front standard, remove the standard bellows. Place the bag bellows in place and push the tabs back down. Much faster then reading this
    +1 for what Bob said. I have a nice 45S with the standard and bag bellows, and changing between the two bellows (once you have the camera unfolded and set-up on the tripod) could not be simpler, easier or quicker.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Ok...let's bring it in.

So what I'm hearing is the Linhof Technikardan (s and non-s) will allow for a 90mm using the standard bellows and I won't notice a problem with movements unless I get a little nutty with the shot.

Also, if, and when I want to go wider than 90mm I'll have to get the wide angle bellows (about $200) and I should quit my complaining about swapping bellows out because it's just not that big of a deal.

Am I picking up what y'all laying down?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Ok...let's bring it in.

So what I'm hearing is the Linhof Technikardan (s and non-s) will allow for a 90mm using the standard bellows and I won't notice a problem with movements unless I get a little nutty with the shot.

Also, if, and when I want to go wider than 90mm I'll have to get the wide angle bellows (about $200) and I should quit my complaining about swapping bellows out because it's just not that big of a deal.

Am I picking up what y'all laying down?
    Yup. And put that 90 in 0 shutter on the proper recessed board for most convenience.

You could also do all that easily with the Chamonix and universal bellows.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome