Thread: Bellows Questions

Bellows Questions

I just recently picked up a couple of 11x14 cameras and for the most part they are in decent shape.

I started looking at the bellows and they appear to be glued to the front and rear standards. These are the classic gray Burke and James models.

I have no experience with bellows removal, although, I consider myself to be good with woodworking and tools.

My questions about the bellows are:

1 - Can glued in bellows be removed carefully and the bellows reused again?

2 - If I can successfully remove the bellows and not damage them, what type of glue is best used to install bellows?

Thank you,

Emory

Re: Bellows Questions

#1) Yes it can be removed. However, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be successful. Work slowly and carefully.

#2) I have used Pliobond Contact Cement and have been very happy with it. And I've used it on bellows for cameras from 5x7 up to 12x20. Apply to both sides and clamp securely without delay.

And, that's just me. YMMV.
    Good luck!

Thanks William.

Any tips or advice on how to do the actual removal? Best tools and technique to use?

I want to avoid damaging the bellows if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    #1) Yes it can be removed. However, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be successful. Work slowly and carefully.

#2) I have used Pliobond Contact Cement and have been very happy with it. And I've used it on bellows for cameras from 5x7 up to 12x20. Apply to both sides and clamp securely without delay.

And, that's just me. YMMV.
    Good luck!

I've used tacky glue for installation of home-made bellows. A lot of glues soften and start to release with a little heat. It helps with un-plumbing fixtures too. Emphasis on "a little," and go easy at it. Some glues are water/steam un-do-able, too. I'm not sure how you'd safely test that. I've also once put a leather "nourishing" treatment on an antique leather-based bellows and restored considerable flexibility to it. I don't know that that is "best practice." the grey B-J bellows I've seen in antique stores were always quite brittle, but this is a small sample 2-3 cameras so far and I've resisted buying them so far, one was a 4x5 the other a 5x7 and I don't need any more miniature cameras. I might be tempted more strongly for 11x14's or banquet cameras! Esp. if they came with fixable film holders. If the bellows really must be removed but get damaged near where they are affixed to the standards, black gaffer's tape makes decent semi-permanent repairs. The whitish rubberized cloth sold in fabric stores for making curtains light tight could also be used for adding an extension to reattach it and you could paint it to match the prior material. I've used it twice to make entire bellows for 8x10 cameras, tedious jobs I hope to never undertake again. It is on the thick side for anything smaller than LF cameras. I've heard of people cutting up film changing bags and using other more exotic materials to make new bellows.

Thank you. I appreciate the tips and insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    I've used tacky glue for installation of home-made bellows. A lot of glues soften and start to release with a little heat. It helps with un-plumbing fixtures too. Emphasis on "a little," and go easy at it. Some glues are water/steam un-do-able, too. I'm not sure how you'd safely test that. I've also once put a leather "nourishing" treatment on an antique leather-based bellows and restored considerable flexibility to it. I don't know that that is "best practice." the grey B-J bellows I've seen in antique stores were always quite brittle, but this is a small sample 2-3 cameras so far and I've resisted buying them so far, one was a 4x5 the other a 5x7 and I don't need any more miniature cameras. I might be tempted more strongly for 11x14's or banquet cameras! Esp. if they came with fixable film holders. If the bellows really must be removed but get damaged near where they are affixed to the standards, black gaffer's tape makes decent semi-permanent repairs. The whitish rubberized cloth sold in fabric stores for making curtains light tight could also be used for adding an extension to reattach it and you could paint it to match the prior material. I've used it twice to make entire bellows for 8x10 cameras, tedious jobs I hope to never undertake again. It is on the thick side for anything smaller than LF cameras. I've heard of people cutting up film changing bags and using other more exotic materials to make new bellows.