Thread: Help cleaning a Crown Graphic

Help cleaning a Crown Graphic

Good evening all. I’m new to the forum and to large format photography. I have 30 years experience with 35 mm film and digital formats but have now decided to step back and up to LF film. So live done some research and decided on a Graflex 4 x 5 camera. I came across a crown graphic kit that is complete but has one issue. The kit was stored in a humid basement. The accessories are good and for the most part so is the camera it self. However, there is small amounts of calcium buildup on the outside of the camera and significant buildup between the grflok back and the back frame of the camera. So what I’m looking for is any suggestions on what I could use to dissolve the calcium without harming the leatherette cover or the glue holding it on the camera body. I’d be grateful for any ideas. Thanks

JT

Re: Help cleaning a Crown Graphic

Likely it is corrosion of the aluminum, often called white rust. Clean with mild soap then mix 1 part distilled white vinegar, 2 parts warm water and lightly scrub with anything that will not scratch the metal, rinse well using a wet towel etc. May take some time

Re: Help cleaning a Crown Graphic

Thanks for the reply I’ll give it a try