Thread: Developer in powder - Color and B&W

Developer in powder - Color and B&W

Normally I buy always liquid: easy but it’s getting expensive.

My film choices are simple - Ilford Delta of Kodak Portra.

So for B&W I was thinking to by Ilford ID-11 a 5 liter. So when its opened how long can I keep the powder ?
    For C-41 It seams that I can only find Tetanal Colortec 1 liter, but knowing me I will throw away half of the solution because I take about 10 color images a year.
    Anyone an idea where I can find some C-41 in powder (brand) in Europe/Belgium ?

Gr
    Patrick

Re: Developer in powder - Color and B&W

The ID-11 box contains two packets which must be combined to mix the stock solution. It should be mixed all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Normally I buy always liquid: easy but it’s getting expensive.

My film choices are simple - Ilford Delta of Kodak Portra.

So for B&W I was thinking to by Ilford ID-11 a 5 liter. So when its opened how long can I keep the powder ?
    For C-41 It seams that I can only find Tetanal Colortec 1 liter, but knowing me I will throw away half of the solution because I take about 10 color images a year.
    Anyone an idea where I can find some C-41 in powder (brand) in Europe/Belgium ?

Gr
    Patrick
    For powder C41 or E6, don't think they exist. For economy however you should try Rollei Digibase C41, which has separate bleach and fix, and the concentrate stores a long time in the fridge (not the freezer). Macodirect should have stock, or you can try Firstcall in the UK. B&W you can try Ilford HC, it's a very thick concentrate and will last a very long time. The 1+79 dilution can be used for stand development.

There's no way to accurately separate mixed powder and retain the correct proportion, that's why all the powder-based developers should be mixed at once, if you want repeatable results.

If you are not in a rush to process your negatives, you can always freeze them an do a batch when you have enough.

Why not make the necessary compositions yourself? This is not difficult. There is enough information on the forum where you can buy chemical raw materials. The recipes of most developers are also no secret, including C41.

Huub

Choices would also depend on the amount of film you shoot of course. In completely full and air tight containers, ID-11 keeps at least 3 months and probably a little more. It helps to get yourself 10 0.5 L bottles or even more 0.3 L bottles for storage, which you fill to the brim. You then use this stock solution more or less immediately after opening. The 5 L stock solution is enough to develop 33 films, asuming a 1+1 dilution for development. When you don't shoot this amount in 3 or 4 months, the 1 L packages might be a better and cheaper option.

You also might consider using XTOL as an alternative powder. It is a slightly better general developer according to Kodak data and has better keeping properties: an air tight, fully closed bottle will store up to half a year.

Thank you all for your input, I have found XTOL and Rollei Digibase C41 here in Belgium