Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick releases clamps and plates

Re: Quick releases clamps and plates

I use Horseman quick adapters for all my cameras except the Hasselblad which has it's own. There are receivers on both my Otto tripods, and plates on each LF and ULF camera.
    If you don't know them, Otto tripods are wood, lighter weight and stronger than Ries. The plates are 3" square and once they slide on they can not slide off until released. Great for nonagenarians and younger.

Sorry, I posted the wrong link for the two RB67 plates. Here are the right ones? So the question is will either work with the Kessler clamp? Or would I be better off with a knob tightened rather than the Kessler lever shut?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...or_Mamiya.html

or https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Plate_for.html

Also, would the Chamonix 4x5 wobble from side to side with let's say a 3" or 4" Arca type plate like this. The camera comes with both 1/4 and 3/8" holes.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_plate.html

No idea

I already posted my thoughts and solutions

Using my Kessler Crane today in studio with RB67 SD Pro, RB 127mm, extension tube 1 and sheet film on Majestic Tripod and head
    Tin Can

After spending $35 on screws, bolts, washers, knobs, and springs to repair my old Gitzo quick release, and giving up, I finally bought the Kessler Kwik Release. They have an updated model called the V2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Arca Swiss manufacturer's plate designed specifically for a Mamiya RB67 camera. It snaps in but remains loose when you close the lever clamp. Unless there's some way to tighten the Kessler lever clamp that I don't know about.

Otherwise, it works great with Kessler's own plates. So I'm using their small plate with the RB67 and their 3 1/2" long, double screw plate with the Chamonix 45H-1. Plus I'm ordering another small plate for my 35mm Nikkormat FT3. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    After spending $35 on screws, bolts, washers, knobs, and springs to repair my old Gitzo quick release, and giving up, I finally bought the Kessler Kwik Release. They have an updated model called the V2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Arca Swiss manufacturer's plate designed specifically, for a Mamiya RB67 camera. It snaps in but remains loose when you close the lever clamp. Unless there's some way to tighten the Kessler lever clamp that I don't know about.

Otherwise, it works great with Kessler's own plates. So I'm using their small plate with the RB67 and their 3 1/2" long, double screw plate with the Chamonix 45H-1. Plus I'm ordering another small plate for my 35mm Nikkormat FT3. Thanks everyone for your help.
    You just discovered something that I have long told people. All Arca style plates do not fit all manufacturers Arca use plates. Especially if your QR is the auto locking type vs the knob locking type.
    Additionally many manufacturers of the Arca type QR have safety features that may not work on other manufacturers QR bases.

I learned that Bob, by trying a few knockoffs. I did warn OP to not mix and mismatch

There is always big video gear and the old really big cine cameras

ARRI BPS-2 Bridge Plate Sled Set

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You just discovered something that I have long told people. All Arca style plates do not fit all manufacturers Arca use plates. Especially if your QR is the auto locking type vs the knob locking type.
    Additionally many manufacturers of the Arca type QR have safety features that may not work on other manufacturers QR bases.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    B and H said it would work while Kessler said they didn't know for the reason you stipulated. So I bought it to try it. Unfortunately it didn't work. So, I sent a email to Kessler if there's a way to adjust the clamp? However, I'm wondering if that would screw it up for their own plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Some here use https://store.kesslercrane.com/produ...ly-mg1001.html

I do with their biggest adapter

Made in USA
    I use the Crane with a variety of plates. I like the Crane because of the "catch and lock" feature. It gives an added level of security to me. I dropped a 5K camera/lens once because of fumbling with a receiver and I think the Crane helps with this. I have them on all my tripods.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I learned that Bob, by trying a few knockoffs. I did warn OP to not mix and mismatch

There is always big video gear and the old really big cine cameras

ARRI BPS-2 Bridge Plate Sled Set
    I know you advised me against the Arca plate and I appreciate it. But it's not costing me anything to try the Arca plate for the RB67. I'll return it to B&H. I also decided not to go with the stand type Kessler you use as it offers no additional support for me. The "wings" are only to help it stand up on a table and I really don't need to worry about that. My camera case didn't have the room for it either. I'm using the Kessler short plate and it works fine on the clamp and stands well enough on the table.

I went with the clamp rather than the knob QR systems, because someone mentioned that they confused the knob of the QR with their camera's focusing knob and inadvertently opened the release. Since my camera's focus adjustments are on the right on my 4x5, rather than in the back, I could see myself doing the same thing. So I settled on a clamp type and Kessler seems to be one of the best.

Thanks for your help.

PS I tried the RB67 with a 360mm lens with the short plate. It seems to hold the same as the shorter lenses. The Kessler short plate uses a 1/4"-20 screw. It comes with two self-sticking rubber type forms that you peel the backs off and stick into formed notches on the short plate. This is to prevent inadvertent rotation of the camera. The 3 1/2" Kessler plate comes with four of these already mounted on the plate. It has one 1/4"-20 and one 3/8"-16 screws which fit my Chamonix 45H-1 4x5 camera perfectly.