Thread: macOS 11 upgrade discards printer/scanner drivers: replacements may be unavailable

macOS 11 upgrade discards printer/scanner drivers: replacements may be unavailable

Ever the optimist, I upgraded my iMac to macOS 11, Big Sur.

I should have waited, as I normally do, for the rest of the world to catch up.

Oops: Epson doesn't yet provide printer drivers for all printers and scanners, including my 3880 printer. Installing a 10.X version didn't work for me.

According to Epson's macOS Big Sur 11 Support "Epson will provide macOS Big Sur 11 drivers and software for Epson products on an on-going basis.": in other words, hopefully sooner than later.

On the other hand, a macOS 11 driver for EPSON Scan 2 software is already available.

Re: macOS 11 upgrade discards printer/scanner drivers: replacements may be unavailabl

I have a R3880 and using Big Sur and I am using the Catalina Drivers which seem to working ok

Photographer

Re: macOS 11 upgrade discards printer/scanner drivers: replacements may be unavailabl

Apparently your upgrade also brought down the Forum! :-)
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    I have a R3880 and using Big Sur and I am using the Catalina Drivers which seem to working ok
    Perhaps your source for the drivers is different or you installed it before something changed which now prevents it working.

Depending on our geographic location, Epson might redirect us to different sources. I downloaded mine from https://epson.com/Support/Printers/P...SPT_CA61201-VM

After installing the Print Utility for macOS 10.15, an icon appears but is disabled. If I try to launch it anyhow, I a dialog box appears with the following message: “EPSON Printer Utility3.app needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information."

10.15 and 11 both consider people's HP printers to be malware and issue dire warnings when someone goes to print. There are updated drivers to work around it.
    Basically unless your peripheral manufacturer is making up to date software for your printers/scanner/whatever for Mac, it's going to stop working. Many customers are staying at 10.13 or 10.14 for now.

I work in commercial printing and we were warned by Heidelberg not to upgrade because it would wipe out our ability to make plates.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Epson placed macOS 11 drivers for the 3880 printer on their site today. They are working fine, on my machine anyhow.

I can make prints again... What a relief !

See https://epson.com/Support/Printers/Professional-Imaging-Printers/Epson-Stylus-Pro-Series/Epson-Stylus-Pro-3880/s/SPT_CA61201-VM

Eureka

Try VueScan. It's way better than the OEM software anyway.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design