Thread: Shutter swap - possible or not recommended..?

Shutter swap - possible or not recommended..?

I've got a Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 90m pm f8 with an old Copal 0 shutter - no T setting and no preview lever. Is it possible to swap this for a more modern shutter? How would I go about making sure that the aperture is correct for the lens - would it need to be taken from an identical donor lens - ie of I wanted a more modern shutter should I just look for a lens with a more modern shutter already fitted (or a busted up lens with a decent shutter I guess..?)

My new to me Symar-S with a much more modern shutter has spoiled me...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Re: Shutter swap - possible or not recommended..?

When a new shutter is more expensive than your lens, it might be time to upgrade? Nikkor-SW f8 is tiny and got bigger circle. Grandagon f6.8 is the thing in between and sought after. I sold my Grandagon f4.5 as it was little used.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    When a new shutter is more expensive than your lens, it might be time to upgrade? Nikkor-SW f8 is tiny and got bigger circle. Grandagon f6.8 is the thing in between and sought after. I sold my Grandagon f4.5 as it was little used.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    I think you're probably correct... Post Christmas, I might look out that Nikkor. Especially as that would give me two lenses covering up to 5x7...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

#0 is #0 is #0. But and however all of the Copal #0 shutters I"ve seen have preview settings and "T"speed. I have a 90/8 SA paperweight that is in a Compur #00. No preview, no "T." OP, check which shutter your lens is in.

If it is in a #0, just get a newer #0 with the features you want and put the cells in it. If it is a #00, look for a 35 mm folder with a Compur #00 that has "T." That's the best you can do. FWIW, years ago I got a 58/5.6 Grandagon ex-Graflex XL that was in a troubled Compur #00. The cells are now in a Compur #00 that has "T." I harvested it from a 35 mm folder, don't recall which. Also look for a Prontor Press #00, they have "T." I have several lenses in them. Copal never made a #00.

I have a 121 SA in an older Compur shutter that is not a direct swap to a newer shutter. If you really want to swap, suggest you send it to SKG and let him do the swap with the corresponding adaptor rings, or buy a newer lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	209918