Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Re: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I'm not sure what you guys are even talking about anymore. Sounds complicated.
    Then it might pay to pay attention. Get the right Chamonix F2, and there is no problem with this...just a single knob in the back for focus -- geared movement, pretty sweet. My Chamonix 11x14 has it..my 5x7 and 8x10 have the type Alan has. The F2 is a semi-unique design and has its pros and cons.

The F2 set-up will be a little longer with its unique complication -- attaching the front standard to the camera base. It is the same style as my Chamonix 11x14...and the more traditional style (such as my Zone VI 8x10 and an older Eastman View 11x14) seem to be easier and quicker to set-up and tear-down. However, I have not set-up a F2, so the smaller scale, relative to the 11x14, might make it a easier job with the F2.

I would love a 5x7 of Alan's type of camera, but they don't have one that does both vert and hort 5x7. Quick set-up. Lens stays on the camera. One would think with all these models, one of them would be 'perfect'.

I prefer working with axis tilt, front and back, but I also work with rear base tilt -- one just adjusts to one's tools. I can easily live with it on the 11x14...but if I had had a choice. The F2 has base and asymmetrical tilts in the back. Seems overly complicated for general landscape, but most likely useful for something.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Haha! Yeah I saw that it got hijacked, but it's all good. You guys got me straight anyway. I actually thought it was kinda funny.

In any event, I'm ready for the F2. I'm also going to list my Mavic Pro and guitar synth on eBay. I'll get almost all the way there!!

Thank everyone.

Any opinion on the Chamonix 8x10 Alpinist X vs the Chamonix 810V?
    What exactly is the functionality differences between the two? I'm sure the Aplinist X sacrificing something for the decreased weight. Is the 810V worth the weight?

Planned use might have the greatest affect of which one to get. Dropping from 9.5 pounds to 5.5 might be significant, especially if the rest of one's outfit is all about reducing weight. For me right now, spending a lot of money to drop 4 pounds on the camera while carrying a 17 pound tripod seems silly...but I will eventually head in that direction.

Just going from the specs, one loses a little with the weight...some front rise/fall and it looks like some of the degree of movements. Nothing sacrificed for general landscape work. The 8x10V is a beefier machine, so hanging a lot of weight on the end, especially with a lot of bellows, the 8x10V probably is more steady.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Planned use might have the greatest affect of which one to get. Dropping from 9.5 pounds to 5.5 might be significant, especially if the rest of one's outfit is all about reducing weight. For me right now, spending a lot of money to drop 4 pounds on the camera while carrying a 17 pound tripod seems silly...but I will eventually head in that direction.

Just going from the specs, one loses a little with the weight...some front rise/fall and it looks like some of the degree of movements. Nothing sacrificed for general landscape work. The 8x10V is a beefier machine, so hanging a lot of weight on the end, especially with a lot of bellows, the 8x10V probably is more steady.
    Thank you.

I've decided that I'm pretty set on the Chamonix F2.
    Looking at the lens review here:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

Many of the 210-240mm lenses come in a compound 3 shutter. Is that too heavy for the F2?

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    45N-1 (Classic) owner here. It's very well made, well designed, beautifully built. The only real complaint is that the front standard has to be taken down and put up when you use it-- but that's part of why it's so light and small. It also means you can't store it with a lens installed. On the other hand, it means you can pre-position the lens near the right focal length with a little practice.

If you don't need asymmetric tilt, the 45N-2 would be a good option (and about $200 less expensive if I recall).

Not sure what back Oslolens is using, but mine is relatively bright (It's the "new" ground-glass + fresnel sandwich with the clear circle in the middle of the fresnel).

The H series is slightly shorter and easier to put away (since it doesn't fold).
    I have the original Chamonix groundglass. The main problem is in bright daylight, when focusing without dark cloth and with a loupe just to make sure I'm using the right front standard hole. The Wista is brighter by a fraction, but the reflex is much less, making it easier to set up.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

I'm using a Fujinon W 300mm F5.6 Lens with a Copal 3 Shutter without any issues on my F2.

Drew Wiley

It hardly makes sense spending serious extra money to get a modern lightweight view camera and then put a big heavy lens on it, unless one just happens to already own that lens and overall weight is not actually a priority.

Any opinions on the Linhof 4X5 Master Technika vs chamonix F2 or any other chamonix?

Ease of use of movements on the linhof, set up concerns etc?

I’m thinking about:

https://www.keh.com/shop/large-forma...ka-679713.html
    https://www.keh.com/shop/210-f6-8-go...x5-lens-1.html

Goerz 8 1/4" (210mm) f/6.8

Would the goerz be better fit on the linhof vs chamonix due to weight?

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...hof-Contenders

Linhof MT is heavy, cumbersome with wide-angles, and doesn't give a whole lot of benefits except ruggedness and a sense of maybe using a more precise and engineered tool.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome