Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Drew Wiley

Re: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Color shift in the corners is inevitable with a film of that high a contrast. Whether that looks attractive or doesn't all depends. It might be better to just let the falloff go toward black if a CF isn't used. Velvia ain't very forgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Much better to use the center filter. Plus it saves a lot of computer time!
    In an ideal situation - yes. But in practice, especially with outdoor photography it all depends.
    You will have to :
    * Spend pretty $$ that otherwise could be used for more essential things.
    * Have the filter along with already bunch of other stuff with you all the time
    * Have it properly packed or it will be destroyed quickly. Means more weigh and bulk to carry
    * Have it always in decent shape (clean) otherwise it it will reduce the contrast and or introduce flare (maintenance cost, including time)
    * Have the time to apply it . Adds to the already long setup times and increases the risk of losing the opportunity.
    * Have to remember to adjust your exposure time . Also adds to the risk of not getting the picture and wasting film.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    In an ideal situation - yes. But in practice, especially with outdoor photography it all depends.
    You will have to :
    * Spend pretty $$ that otherwise could be used for more essential things.
    * Have the filter along with already bunch of other stuff with you all the time
    * Have it properly packed or it will be destroyed quickly. Means more weigh and bulk to carry
    * Have it always in decent shape (clean) otherwise it it will reduce the contrast and or introduce flare (maintenance cost, including time)
    * Have the time to apply it . Adds to the already long setup times and increases the risk of losing the opportunity.
    * Have to remember to adjust your exposure time . Also adds to the risk of not getting the picture and wasting film.
    This is ridiculous. You can leave it on the lens all the time and eliminate many of your steps. It is no more difficult to clean it then to clean the front of your lens. It adds minimal weight. It saves time and frustration trying to correct the falloff afterward, etc., etc.. and using a filter factor is a trivial matter for any experienced photographer. If necessary, write the factor on a piece of tape, and apply it to the front of the lens cap as a reminder.

Agree with SergeyT.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It's one slider in Lightroom, if you choose to try it out. Of course as mentioned it also depends on movements applied, but you can also de-center it in Lightroom as well. I would say 20-30 seconds of time to do max.
    +1, mostly 3 seconds actually. That is way less than judging your image with centre filter on your groundglass. Of course if you work with color or B&W negative and work purely analogue from start to finish it’s a different thing. But I do not see Alan analogue color printing yet and with positive film I do not see the advantage. My experience with centre filters is that it is not as predictable as it seems, especially in 6x17 it was often a disappointment for me. In Adams’ work we can see that a little vignetting in the final printing contributes to the expression of the image. But of course, this is something else as advertising, packshots and other commercial work. But analogue working in that realm belongs to the past.
    In the meantime we have become completely off topic

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    This is ridiculous. You can leave it on the lens all the time and eliminate many of your steps. It is no more difficult to clean it then to clean the front of your lens. It adds minimal weight. It saves time and frustration trying to correct the falloff afterward, etc., etc.. and using a filter factor is a trivial matter for any experienced photographer. If necessary, write the factor on a piece of tape, and apply it to the front of the lens cap as a reminder.
    Well, I sold mine ----I seldom needed it and agree with Sergey T

If you're looking at Arca Swiss Orbital, you might as well consider Sinar. I love the geared yaw free focusing over a plane of the Sinar P2.
    Heavy, but it doesn't stop me from walking fair distances with it, with a cart.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.