Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Re: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You don't need 105 mm filters. Circular 82mm contrast filters between the CF and the lens work just fine.
    Filters should never be mounted between a lens and a cf. the center filter belongs directly on the lens. Unless you don’t want the cf to have the proper effect.

Drew Wiley

I knew you'd contradict that, Bob. But not only did I do a lot of expensive commercial shoots that way, but have made extremely detailed 30X40 inch Cibachrome enlargements of such shots - a far higher standard than any magazine cover. I thoroughly tested for this, with a whole range of filters, obtaining edge to edge consistent densitometer readings of the film itself with respect to the SW Nikkor 90. In fact, in the case of the Schneider 120/8 SA, which the same filter was engineering for, you CAN'T apply the CF directly onto the lens, or the slightly bulging front element will actually rub a bit. Either a supplemental spacer rings of intervening filter must be used, or you risk damage to both.

I knew you'd contradict that, Bob. But not only did I do a lot of expensive commercial shoots that way, but have made extremely detailed 30X40 inch Cibachrome enlargements of such shots - a far higher standard than any magazine cover. I thoroughly tested for this, with a whole range of filters, obtaining edge to edge consistent densitometer readings of the film itself with respect to the SW Nikkor 90. In fact, in the case of the Schneider 120/8 SA, which the same filter was engineering for, you CAN'T apply the CF directly onto the lens, or the slightly bulging front element will actually rub a bit. Either a supplemental spacer rings of intervening filter must be used, or you risk damage to both.
    Drew, the manufacturers state that the cf goes directly on the lens. If you want to do things the wrong way feel free. But don’t tell others to follow bad advice.

Drew Wiley

Read the "fine print" on that particular Schneider lens, Bob. I was following official specifications!!! The rest was completely tested, no guesswork. So I can most certainly tell people what I know to be true. You don't speak for all the manufacturers by any means, esp in the case where one of them doesn't even make their own CF's, and one has to improvise.

You don't need 105 mm filters. Circular 82mm contrast filters between the CF and the lens work just fine.
    Someone was saying it should be after the CF. I forget the reason. Possible vignetting? Changing the coverage of the CF?

In any case, I still would need larger filters. With my other lenses, I use my existing 77mm filters from the medium format kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Someone was saying it should be after the CF. I forget the reason. Possible vignetting? Changing the coverage of the CF?

In any case, I still would need larger filters. With my other lenses, I use my existing 77mm filters from the medium format kit.
    Oops. I should have read the rest of the posts before responding. It looks like I stepped into a hornet's nest. I don't want to take sides because I don't know enough about this stuff. But let me ask a question. The lens is a Nikor 90mm but the CF is a Schneider made for Schneider lenses. So would the specifications of the Schneider CF actually meet all the requirements of another manufacturer's lens in any case. Isn't all the compensating for dropoff essentially approximate for a different lens?

My other concern is vignetting? Is it more probable one way or the other?

The other issue I have is using grad ND filters. Wouldn't I still need a GND filter kit over 105mm?

More CF confusion? Well you've already sprung for the big 82mm filter fast 90mm so 77mm filters won't work anyway. If you wanted to keep to 77mm an f/8 lens and less worrying about a small amount of fall-off in most cases would've been the way to go...but I repeat myself.

PS: I've used 82-77mm step-DOWN filters on lenses to use 77mm filters, obviously compromising image circle. Which IMO is not a big deal in most situations.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Have a CF for the 75mm f4.5 Grandagon, never used it. IMO, for the majority of B&W prints, a CF is not needed.
    The 72mm Super Angulon XL on 5x7 is very often more than ok with no CF for B&W prints.

For color transparencies, the need for a CF can be very real. It does depend on image goals and how the specific WA lens is used.

Before contorting over the need for a CF, do some real world image making before diving off that cliff. There is no simple or general answer to this question.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Have a CF for the 75mm f4.5 Grandagon, never used it. IMO, for the majority of B&W prints, a CF is not needed.
    The 72mm Super Angulon XL on 5x7 is very often more than ok with no CF for B&W prints.

For color transparencies, the need for a CF can be very real. It does depend on image goals and how the specific WA lens is used.

Before contorting over the need for a CF, do some real world image making before diving off that cliff.
    There is no simple or general answer to this question.

Bernice
    Here are three Velvia 50 chromes with the 75mm. There was a little cropping from the sides. What do you think of the vignetting? It should be less with the 90mm.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1

I can't show any pictures with the 90mm or any BW with the 75mm which is why I haven't decided on what to do with filters. I don't have enough experience under my belt with 90mm, 75mm, or frankly 4x5. So I don't want to spend any more money until I figure it out.

Disregard the first Velvia with all the blue skies. I added vignetting when I editted.