Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambo 4x5...how to know how wide you can go

Cambo 4x5...how to know how wide you can go

Hi.
    I have a Cambo 4x5 monorail along with a 150mm Fuji lens. I'd really like a 90mm, but I'm not sure it will work.

So here's my question...how can I know if a 90mm lens can be focused at infinity andstill allow for movements?

So maybe forget I said anything about the Cambo. Just in general, are there measurements I can look at on any camera to tell you for sure?

I can say this, when I have the tripod mount between the two standards (most stable) the closest I can get them is 125mm apart. Bag bellows won't get me closer because the two standards butt into the tripod mount. I thought (might be wrong) but I thought that that minimum distance represents the smallest focal length lens you can use straight though with no movements. So in my case I could use a 125mm fixed but nothing wider.

This seems both correct and strange.

If I move the two standards to one side of the tripod mount, I think I can get to less than 100mm, but honestly, it's not the most stable and a bit goofy.

Anyway, anyone out there that can explain how/what to look at on a camera to know what the widest (and longest) lens will work?

Thx!!
    Adam

loujon

Re: Cambo 4x5...how to know how wide you can go

As I recall the trick is to move both standards to one side of the rail clamp so the standards can be moved as close as necessary for infinity focus or closer focus.

Lou is right. I have 2x3 and 4x5 Cambo SCs. When the tripod mounting block is positioned between the standards it limits how closely they can approach each other. The solution is, as the OP suggested, to put the tripod mounting block in front of the front standard. To measure the minimum extension, assemble the camera, move the standards together, use a depth gauge (really, a ruler is good enough) to measure the distance between the front of the lens board (you'll need a board that's been bored with no lens mounted) and the ground glass. I measure it at around 40 mm without bellows. There are thin and relatively thick Cambo bag bellows.

Shortest lens? I started out shooting 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics so my lenses are on 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic boards. My shortest lens for those cameras is a 35/4.5 Apo-Grandagon. I was gifted a 2x3 Cambo SC, had an adapter made to let me attach 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic boards to a 2x3 SC front standard. When I decided to go 6x12 I bought a 4x5 SC, cobbled up a hybrid Cambo. 2x3 front standard, 4x5 rear standard, tapered bellows between. I made a tapered bag bellows (story here: http://www.galerie-photo.com/bag-bellows.html), can use the 35 on a flat board on the hybrid. Minimal movements. Full movements with slightly longer lenses such as 47/5.6 SA.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Hi.
    I have a Cambo 4x5 monorail
    If I move the two standards to one side of the tripod mount, I think I can get to less than 100mm
    I used 90mm with Cambo and later a wide angle 150mm with a 8x10 Bender this way. The way I balanced them was to use a tripod rail forward from tripod mount to the tripod clamp. Any wider, and you will need a recessed lens board.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Hi it works well to move both standards on the same side of the clamp with a 90mm ; just check the proper balance
    Usefull for an 90mm lens without wide angle bellows (bag bellow ? in french it's soufflet ballon) and flat lensboard
    Of course better with a bag bellow from 90mm to 65 mm without problem together with a recessed board

Hi all,

Ok....so I'm going to give this another look. Thank you also for confirming the measurement points. I've been doing it right.

So it probably means I can get away with a 90mm!! Pretty cool.

I'm getting great results with the 150mm using Ilford FP4+, Kodak E100 and Kodak Ektar 100.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    So it probably means I can get away with a 90mm!!
    Not probably. Certainly.

Hi again,

I moved both standards to one side of the tripod mount and pulled a measurement standard to standard. I'm going to try to post pictures, but I've never had luck doing that in this forum ��.

Anyway, the two standards minimum distance is 3.5" or just under 90mm. So, it seems to me a 90mm will just barely work straight through and not allow for movements. Let me try pictures now.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201121_083521.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	209786

Name:	20201121_083558.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	209787

Name:	20201121_083707.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	209788

Holy crap it worked!!!!

So notice in the side view, the two standards are butt up to each others. So I cannot get them physically closer even though the bellows still have some room to give.