Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cambo 4x5...how to know how wide you can go

Re: Cambo 4x5...how to know how wide you can go

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Hi again,

I moved both standards to one side of the tripod mount and pulled a measurement standard to standard. I'm going to try to post pictures, but I've never had luck doing that in this forum ��.

Anyway, the two standards minimum distance is 3.5" or just under 90mm. So, it seems to me a 90mm will just barely work straight through and not allow for movements. Let me try pictures now.....
    You have set the camera up correctly. For set up, see https://static.cambo.com/Files/SC2_Manual.pdf

If you reverse the rear standard, with no bellows fitted the two function carriers (the parts of the standards that accept lens board/back and bellows) can be made to touch. This will seem to make shooting in landscape impossible, for that you need the stupid Cambo trick. Lay the camera on its side. Remember, the rail is square and the tripod mounting block doesn't care whether the camera is upright or on its side. You may need a bag bellows to get much movement.

It is a modular camera. Take advantage of the modularity.

Bag bellows and recessed lens board will give you a bit more relief and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You have set the camera up correctly. For set up, see https://static.cambo.com/Files/SC2_Manual.pdf

If you reverse the rear standard, with no bellows fitted the two function carriers (the parts of the standards that accept lens board/back and bellows) can be made to touch. This will seem to make shooting in landscape impossible, for that you need the stupid Cambo trick. Lay the camera on its side. Remember, the rail is square and the tripod mounting block doesn't care whether the camera is upright or on its side. You may need a bag bellows to get much movement.

It is a modular camera. Take advantage of the modularity.
    I have to be totally honest with you, but I'm confused by your post. I think you are saying that the rear standard can be flipped around? If so, I once tried this, but the vertical posts of the standard got in the way of getting the film holders in place.

I think I need a video or photos of someone else's rig to see a different way.

I just need to buy a field camera!!! LOL...

I have to be totally honest with you, but I'm confused by your post. I think you are saying that the rear standard can be flipped around? If so, I once tried this, but the vertical posts of the standard got in the way of getting the film holders in place..
    That's right. If you look at the back, you'll see that it is what is called a reversible back. You can remove it -- same process as removing a lens board or detaching the bellows -- and rotate it by 90 degrees and re-attach it so that the insertion end of the back points up. At this point, you'll be able to insert the film holder. However, the film will be in portrait, i.e., the long edge will be vertical. If you want landscape, with long edge of the film horizontal lay the camera on its side.

Play with it a bit and you'll understand what I've just told you.

OOOOHHHH! I GOT IT NOW.

See, that's totally out of the box (pun intended) thinking. My skill and knowledge is barely in a box....but I get it now.

I'll give that a look.

Seems like a pain in the ass and yet further justification I need a different camera, but solving problems is always fun!!

Many thanks Dan.

OOOOHHHH! I GOT IT NOW.

See, that's totally out of the box (pun intended) thinking. My skill and knowledge is barely in a box....but I get it now.
    Congratulations. Its what we all do.

You would need the bag bellows for movements. I have one of these (or at least a version of) and use it with an 89mm lens in the configuration you have here with bag bellows. You can get quite a bit of movement - more likely to be restricted by the lens than the camera.
    There is another hack you can try, which (I think) allows you to leave the standards on either side of the tripod mount, but it only works with portrait orientation. If you take the bellows and back off and swing the rear standard 180 degrees, the back gets much closer to the lens. The bellows and back still fit because the mount is the same for both. Only trouble is, you can only get a film holder in in the vertical orientation.