Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed - Should I ship my LF lenses to get them CLA'ed before selling them?

Re: Advice Needed - Should I ship my LF lenses to get them CLA'ed before selling them

If you didn't think they were worth it to CLA when you used them, why do you think others will put any more value on CLAing them and be willing to pay extra for them? I'd just wipe them clean and take a picture with the original box they came in if you have them. If you have recent photos showing results, include those to show how well they work.

Re: Advice Needed - Should I ship my LF lenses to get them CLA'ed before selling them

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    If you'd give some indication of your locale you might be able to find someone local who owns a shutter speed tester, like a Calumet or a Phochron XA. There are other, more professional, units out there but either of these will be accurate. Many phone apps are sound-based so are generally OK at lower speeds but not necessarily at higher ones. The Calumet has been out of production for years, the Phochron is available new, but purchasing either may not make sense if your goal is simply to sell some lenses.
    These shutters are off a little on at least some settings. All the test will show is they're off and you've proved it. SO the buyer might think it's worth less than it is. I think if you've been using a lens successfully, let the photo results count for itself and sell the lens as is.

How do you advertise blemishes, scratches and things like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    If you'd give some indication of your locale you might be able to find someone local who owns a shutter speed tester, like a Calumet or a Phochron XA. There are other, more professional, units out there but either of these will be accurate. Many phone apps are sound-based so are generally OK at lower speeds but not necessarily at higher ones. The Calumet has been out of production for years, the Phochron is available new, but purchasing either may not make sense if your goal is simply to sell some lenses.
    I am in the Houston area.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If you didn't think they were worth it to CLA when you used them, why do you think others will put any more value on CLAing them and be willing to pay extra for them? I'd just wipe them clean and take a picture with the original box they came in if you have them. If you have recent photos showing results, include those to show how well they work.
    I had them CLA'ed when I purchased them used years ago and, unfortunately, it's been a while since I've used my LF gear or these lenses. My original thought was to offer these lenses as recently CLA'ed more as a courtesy to any potential buyer than anything else. When buying, I tend to be more interested in gear I know has been taken care of and often look for such things myself. Cosmetically, the lenses look excellent in terms of glass clarity and exterior finish. They also sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second. I know that's not the best test, just that the each seem to be right on the mark both visually and by sound. At this point, I will likely offer them locally to anyone who would like to come by and check them out before buying. This sounds like the best route.

Quote Originally Posted by 8alonzo8 View Post
    Cosmetically, the lenses look excellent in terms of glass clarity and exterior finish.They also sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.
    Put in the add that cosmetically the lenses look excellent with great clarity and no fog, coating marks or scratches. I have no way of professionally testing the lens shutters but they sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.

Also include plenty of sharp, clear pictures. You would be surprised how many photographers advertise photo equipment with lousy images.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Also include plenty of sharp, clear pictures. You would be surprised how many photographers advertise photo equipment with lousy images.
    So true. Will do.

I bet you now will receive PM's to make back of the shed deals

as NOW you tell us they are Gems

not from me
    Tin Can

Put in the add that cosmetically the lenses look excellent with great clarity and no fog, coating marks or scratches. I have no way of professionally testing the lens shutters but they sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.

That's what Japanese sellers of lenses do on eBay. I've asked them before buying to provide shutter test reports. None would do so because they know that shutters are not that accurate. The Copal shutter spec says accurate to 1/3 stop when new. Some ads say they manually checked and they sound right. When I did the sound test, none of them were perfect, some better than others. But the ads always included very clear pictures.
    Check some of these out. https://www.ebay.com/b/Schneider-Apo...3/bn_110055112

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    That's what Japanese sellers of lenses do on eBay. I've asked them before buying to provide shutter test reports. None would do so because they know that shutters are not that accurate. The Copal shutter spec says accurate to 1/3 stop when new. Some ads say they manually checked and they sound right. When I did the sound test, none of them were perfect, some better than others. But the ads always included very clear pictures.
    Check some of these out. https://www.ebay.com/b/Schneider-Apo...3/bn_110055112
    After I bought my first shutter speed tester I started listing the actual speeds of my lens shutters on my eBay auctions. My lenses started selling for less money even when the shutters were accurate or just slightly slow on the fastest speeds.

I went back to saying that my shutter speeds sounded progressively slower the lower the speeds but were not professionally tested for accuracy. Of course any lens that needed a CLA I advertised as such. My lenses started back to selling for what they should have.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

After I bought my first shutter speed tester I started listing the actual speeds of my lens shutters on my eBay auctions. My lenses started selling for less money even when the shutters were accurate or just slightly slow on the fastest speeds.

I went back to saying that my shutter speeds sounded progressively slower the lower the speeds but were not professionally tested for accuracy. Of course any lens that needed a CLA I advertised as such. My lenses started back to selling for what they should have.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?
    Sure it makes sense. The test proves to the buyer you're selling a "defective" shutter. I tested all my lenses with built in shutters. Four large formats and four Mamiya RB67 lenses. I also checked my Nikon Nikormat 35mm camera's shutter. None of these were accurate across the board, some worse than others. The only one I checked that was accurate almost exactly was my Nikon N6006 thirty-year-old 35mm camera. It has an electronic shutter. I was amazed at how accurate it was especially after all these years. It had also sat on the shelf for half that time.