Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good light lens for 8x10’

Re: Good light lens for 8x10’

240 G Claron is light and compact, single coated and found in modern copal shutters. Very bright for focusing, too even though it's an f/9. I tend to shoot at f/45 unless I run out of image circle, then I stop down as needed. It will take screw on filters you may already have if you've shot 35mm SLRs

19" Artars are comparatively lightwieght for a long lens---some have aluminum barrels which are even lighter.

These are the two lenses I often take on hikes in the Sierra.

Click on LF Homepage on the light blue banner at the top of this page and scroll down to 'Equipment Reviews' and 'Lenses' for a lot of valuable information.
    QT has graciously provided our LF commuity with the best forum ever!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Well, Bob ... if you know of a better list ... please give us a link.

I found Kerry's list to be extraordinarily helpful ... I ended up choosing one of his recommendations for my kit a number of years ago ... the Fujinon A 240 and found it to be everything Kerry said it would be. I appreciate all the efforts he made and time it must have taken. His list makes a great starting point and a valuable resource.
    How helpful can it be when in left out mainstream lenses? How helpful is a test that is unreliable and unreproducable?

If you wanted a list of specs look to the old B&H or Calumet listings. They at least included all modern lenses but not the out of production lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How helpful can it be when in left out mainstream lenses? How helpful is a test that is unreliable and unreproducable?

If you wanted a list of specs look to the old B&H or Calumet listings. They at least included all modern lenses but not the out of production lenses.
    Bob,

The poster stated "lightweight." From the lenses mentioned, they certainly meet that requirement. And as someone who backpacks with an 8x10 at the age of 68, if you have other lightweight suggestions, I am all ears.

Ok, not mentioned is my 355mm / 14" Repro-Claron in a Compur 2 shutter.

Not common, but have owned two over the years, so they can be found.

Compact enough that I can insert the lens mounted on a Technical lens board, and that mounted onto a Technika to 6x6RC Deardorff style adaptor board backwards and close the camera with a lens in the camera.

Covers 8x10 (sorry do not know the official specs) but does handle some front tilt at landscape distances. And do not know the weight.

Dialyte design commonly used for reproduction, so maybe include others like that (Apo-Artars, Apo-Ronars, etc.).

Shutter is old, but still robust.

G Claron 240/270 [harder to find] both in Copal 1

210 G Claron gives you about an inch of rise, it is quite small.

the 305 G Claron is a fine lens, but not one I'd call small and light.

For a wide angle one of the Wolly f:12.5s.
    Last edited by Kevin Crisp; 16-Nov-2020 at 12:56.

The Wolly F/12s are certainly small, but they aren't the easiest to focus.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The Wolly F/12s are certainly small, but they aren't the easiest to focus.
    Yeah- they're a bit dodgy when focusing unless you're in bright daylight, but they're TINY and very lightweight, and extremely wide-angle. In the wide-angle end of things, also look at a 190mm Kodak Wide-Field Ektar. Wide open it just misses the corners on 8x10 if you apply anything more than the most minimal of movements, but that field of view!

Otherwise, any of the f9 240mm lenses mentioned (G-Claron, Germinar W. Fujinon) are great lightweight options, and while not ultralight, a 305 Commercial Ektar in Ilex 4 is not a bad option. A 12"/19"/25" Turner-Reich triple convertible atones for the sin of being in a brass barrel by giving you three lenses with the weight of one.

Drew Wiley

I've done a lot of LF photography in the mountains, both 4x5 and 8x10, up to a hundred miles at a time, PLUS all necessary gear and supplies in the same pack too. And now in my 70's, finding ways to minimize weight in more important than ever. Many of the lenses in my kit are cross-purpose for several format, all the way from 6x9 roll film backs to 8x10 itself. For semi-wide on 8x10 I use either a 240 GC or 250 Fuji A, intermediate focal length, 360 Fuji A (nice light no.1 shutter, huge image circle, but expensive), and longer, a 450 Fuji C. Once in awhile, I'll carry a 600C too. I don't generally carry a 300 in my 8x10 kit. I have a 300 Nikkor M which is tiny and great for 4x5, but skimpy image circle on 8x10; either a 305GC or 300A, or maybe a 300C would be preferable. There is also a 270 GC which would cover 8x10; just be careful which GC's you buy because not all were designed for general photography usage. All of these lenses are superb for both color and b&w work.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 19-Nov-2020 at 15:43.

One more vote for the 240 g claron. Tiny and light, it's also one of the sharpest lenses I own.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoB View Post
    thank you! where I can find Terry Thalman recommended lenses? Sincerely I prefer lenses with shutter.
    http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm