Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with enlarger transportation

Help with enlarger transportation

Hello all! In an effort to get back into printing I just pulled the trigger on a listing for two enlargers. I was excited to find such a complete kit which includes two enlargers and all the accoutrements needed to get my own darkroom kitted out.

It then occurred to me that these things are a bit beastly in size. I have never owned my own enlarger so I've never had to transport one. I'm guessing some disassembly will be required. Is there any resource or advice anyone can offer for when I go pick these behemoths up? I'm guessing transporting them assembled is out of the question but maybe I'm wrong. What tools would I need? One is an Omega Universal 4x5 and the other an Omega B66 I am both excited and concerned with this acquisition. Any advice you can offer will increase my excitement and mitigate my concern.

I can't wait to get printing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Help with enlarger transportation

I transported an Omega D5XL and a Leitz Focomat in a Jeep Cherokee without disassembly.
    Do you have a friend with an SUV ?

Don't even think of trying to lift the complete 4x5 Omega by yourself - it's *very* heavy.

You can find manuals for various Omega enlargers here:

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...s/manuals.html

Good luck and enjoy!

I transported an almost fully assembled 5x7 Elwood enlarger 65 miles securely strapped to a solid platform atop a '73 Volkswagen bug. Only the lamp housing, negative carrier, and lens got to ride inside.

When I lived in Chicago I often rented a https://www.zipcar.com/chicago Ford Transit Cargo Van. I rode my bicycle to pick it up

As I didn't have any car for 5 years and didn't need one

Most enlargers can be separated into 2 chunks, baseboard and column and then do fit in a car

Making enlargers shippable AND fit cars, homes was a design restriction for many LF enlargers
    Tin Can

I just moved 200 miles to our new digs, my Beseler 23C sat upright but my Omega D-5 xl had to lie down in the back of my Expedition. I padded the Omega with furniture pads. If you are not sure of transporting with the D-5 laying down, remove the condensers and wrap them carefully in a soft cloth and box them up. Everything else should ride okay.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

just be sure to secure the condensers!

what Ron said. I'd probably remove them and placed them in a very well padded box. do no scratch them ! secure all loose parts that can be removed (make sure to mark what they are and where they go). the B66 shld be an easy transport. Also guessing the D is not attached to a baseboard, based on how it's leaning by the cabinet.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I've transported a d5 in a mid-size sedan with fold down seats. Just took the baseboard off and secured the other pieces. It did take 2 of us to load as one person had to be inside the car to lift and guide one end in. I think the best way to secure everything is the plastic film on a roll (about 6" wide) that movers use. A piece of cardboard in the trunk helps for sliding the enlarger in and out.

I have a Chevy Volt which isn't the most spacious form of transportation but maybe it'll work with the seats folded. I'm in Chicago so we have Zipcar and Getaround, so maybe I can rent an SUV or cargo van for an hour or two if I need the extra space.

The master plan since I live in a studio apartment is to eventually move it to my parents house out of state until I can get my own dedicated space for it. Luckily they're more than willing to let me use their basement. We'll see how long that lasts

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk