Thread: What do you use to support your heavy, long, big and old lenses on your LF cameras

What do you use to support your heavy, long, big and old lenses on your LF cameras

I made a Packard shutter box for my Verito 18" lens and tried it on my Deardorff V11, it worked very well. When I put it on my V8, the front standard with shutter box and lens bowed. I was wondering what commercial or DIY devices you use to support your heavy, long, big and old lenses on your LF cameras. Thanks!

Re: What do you use to support your heavy, long, big and old lenses on your LF camera

Older Bogen Magic Arm. One end clamped to a tripod leg and the other clamped to the lens. Takes the strain off the front of the camera well and is adjustable which allows more leeway with focusing.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Photographer

Re: What do you use to support your heavy, long, big and old lenses on your LF camera

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Older Bogen Magic Arm. One end clamped to a tripod leg and the other clamped to the lens. Takes the strain off the front of the camera well and is adjustable which allows more leeway with focusing.
    I don’t think the Bogen is made any longer. Look in Ebay under Luland. It looks the same as the Bogen.
    Keith Pitman

I had a Chamonix Lens Support to use with my 11X14 Chamonix camera

Sold both
    Tin Can

On my Cambo(s), I use a mutilated Cambo SC standard to support my heaviest lens, a 900 mm Apo-Saphir.

On my failed Baby Bertha, I used an inexpensive lab jack to support a 2x3 Graflex RB Ser. B hung on the back of the rear standard.

On my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, I use a piece of plexiglas to support a 4"/2.0 TTH Anastigmat. This lens is ex-Vinten F.95. The plexi goes between the lens' barrel and the front bed rails' crossbar.

So far I have not needed an extra support for my 11X14 Deardorff SC or my Linhof Color Kardan 8X10

I use a heavy Kodak 405 on either. A Jena 900mm f9 only on the big Deardorff as it has the bellows for it

My 14" Verito is not that heavy and will be mounted on a lens board at the middle to balance it better

I have a few long barrel SF lenses that can only be mounted on a Tailboard camera, another project for the lock down!
    Tin Can

Couple of solutions...

1. Used a couple of off the shelf "L" brackets from the local hardware store and plastic fasteners in the V8 rise slot with one of the "L" brackets to constrain the V8 front tilt,

2. We never got Bogen in Canada, unless one imported it themselves. However, he did private label with his own name a number of other products including Manfrotto of Italy. I purchased a Manfrotto articulated magic arm and mounted a couple of super clamps ono the ends.

Hope that helps,

Len

Thank you all for your reply and suggestions! It seems the magic arm is a long-term solution.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ion_Magic.html

I bought a new mini magic arm from eBay and it works very well for my heavy and long lens. See photos below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8C0CB61-818D-4F4D-8F72-841B464CD614.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	210260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5122B6F-0A69-478D-8864-590AC2CCE271.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	210261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABED71B8-730B-4063-B1FF-3AF82C6F13E1.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	210262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D185746B-E3E1-42B5-9CC2-10F3F8B2BD9F.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	210263