Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pictoriographica black glass!

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    355

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    I got my 4x5 ones too. Great finish and quality. About the same price as color slide film. I have no complaints, and really appreciate Nodda Dumaís efforts for making this available to us.

  2. #12

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Yeah I wish things were free, too. Unfortunately I can't sell it at a loss or I would. At least I don't have to make a living off this stuff.
    I didn't mean to be critical of your pricing, Jason. I simply meant that right now, under current circumstances, I cannot afford this product. I have no doubt you are selling it for as low a price as you can. I am certain it is far superior to standard black "stained glass" plates, but I simply can't afford $8.00 a piece for 8X10 glass. I wish things were different, but....

  3. #13
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,303

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    Paul, show us where "standard black "stained glass" plates" ARE available


    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I didn't mean to be critical of your pricing, Jason. I simply meant that right now, under current circumstances, I cannot afford this product. I have no doubt you are selling it for as low a price as you can. I am certain it is far superior to standard black "stained glass" plates, but I simply can't afford $8.00 a piece for 8X10 glass. I wish things were different, but....
    2022

  4. #14

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Paul, show us where "standard black "stained glass" plates" ARE available
    Randy,
    I cannot cite suppliers at this point, because it seems they come and go, and availability changes all the time. I know that about a year and a half ago, I found one supplier, but the product was only available for a short time. I don't know of any current suppliers of black stained glass, but I am certain they're out there. I can also tell you their product was more expensive than what Jason offers, if I remember correctly. Black glass isn't cheap, no matter who the supplier. I'm sticking to making ambrotypes on clear glass and blacking the reverse by various methods.

    Edit: A quick search of the web for "Black stained glass" reveals a number of sources.

  5. #15
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,303

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    Yes I see those and they seem to be crap


    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Randy,
    I cannot cite suppliers at this point, because it seems they come and go, and availability changes all the time. I know that about a year and a half ago, I found one supplier, but the product was only available for a short time. I don't know of any current suppliers of black stained glass, but I am certain they're out there. I can also tell you their product was more expensive than what Jason offers, if I remember correctly. Black glass isn't cheap, no matter who the supplier. I'm sticking to making ambrotypes on clear glass and blacking the reverse by various methods.

    Edit: A quick search of the web for "Black stained glass" reveals a number of sources.
    2022

  6. #16
    Nodda Duma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    984

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    No worries, Paul...didn’t take it as such. I was sharing in frustration that I can’t push the prices down much. My gial has always been to make plate shooting affordable. I could get the price down on this stuff..maybe as demand grows and I can buy in larger quantities.

    I did a couple things to try and help: I tuned the prices down a little more and also cut the size of the packs in half, so while the per-piece cost doesn’t change, it’s not as large an investment to try them out. Check out the revised listing and maybe that will help (or at least lower the investment bar).

    The black glass from those sources are rippled and textured..definitely not conducive to what I want to do (coat with emulsion). I have several large pieces that I bought for testing and, as Randy states, the stuff is crap for what wet / dry platers want to do.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,393

    Re: Pictoriographica black glass!

    Thanks for the link, so 5 plates in 4x5 are $15, which sounds reasonable. It is hard to find good glass, however none of us wetplaters "have been searching for it for years" as the seller states. Sorry, but you don't have a secret source that no one else can find. It's out there, I and many others buy it when we find some for a good price. You just have to hunt around and then you have your supplier. Dark ruby red, purple, and green work well too.


    Here is a plate I shot on some in 2011.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2020, 04:59
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2020, 20:16
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-May-2016, 20:37
  4. Black glass
    By likeoras in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2010, 02:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •