Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC Lens

Rare Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC Lens

Hi, I am hopeful the group here can help me with what appears to be a pretty rare lens.

I believe that I have a Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens.

I went to the Rodenstock lens page at http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/lar...en.html#table1 and the only APO-Sironar lens on the entire page that has a 127mm thread at 300mm F5.6 is the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens.

I wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something and also confirm the identity of the lens based on the above criteria.

I retired recently and I am in the process of selling all the jewels that I have collected over the years. I want to make sure I have the right information on this lens before listing it for sale.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single listing on eBay, current or past sale, for the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens making this one a little bit of a head scratcher.

I have the lens in front of me and here is the actual text on the front lens barrel "Rodenstock APO-Sironar 1:5,6 f=300mm MC". The serial number is: 10989611.
    I have a clear filter on the front element so that is how I know the front filter thread is 127mm for sure. The lens is mounted on a Copal 3 shutter and it is in flawless mint condition.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about confirming the model of the lens and also any idea of what the current market value may be.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Re: Rare Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC Lens

It's quite rare indeed. Here's a similar lens (Sinar branded) https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-S...-/164181568298, relisted here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Almost-MINT...N/164490189635

Does yours have the yellow ring on the front element? From the serial number it's from 1989, I'm sure Bob Solomon can give more detail.

Pricewise it's a hit and miss. I think Michael Fatali sold one awhile back from his "Lens Vault" on eBay. Don't recall the price but it was around 2x the going rate for the Sironar-S 300mm.

Drew Wiley

Every lens Fatali tried to sell was ridiculously overpriced. But he seems to be winding down several aspects of his career.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think to look at the Sinar brand, so good info on that.

Yea, this thing is in mint, like new condition. With me retiring, I want it to go to a good home. I don't want to just sit on it and not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by minh0204 View Post
    It's quite rare indeed. Here's a similar lens (Sinar branded) https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-S...-/164181568298, relisted here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Almost-MINT...N/164490189635

Does yours have the yellow ring on the front element? From the serial number it's from 1989, I'm sure Bob Solomon can give more detail.

Pricewise it's a hit and miss. I think Michael Fatali sold one awhile back from his "Lens Vault" on eBay. Don't recall the price but it was around 2x the going rate for the Sironar-S 300mm.

Is this the lens you bought from me? If so, it is an Apo Sironar W. Early examples just say Apo Sironar.

To be precise, what you have is exactly what the label says: the 300mm Apo-Sironar. This is the first generation of Rodenstock's modern plasmat with 80-degree coverage. It's the predecessor to the Apo-Sironar-W. AFAIK it's never been documented whether there were any changes in the glass when they went to the Apo-Sironar-W branding. Even with the older label and earlier serial number it's a fine lens, relatively uncommon, and highly desirable for those who need that much coverage and can manage the weight. No need to play "it's labeled X but it's really Y" games, and if I were a prospective purchaser I'd find that really annoying.

Also: a reminder that valuation requests aren't allowed on the Forum.

For reference here are photos of my multi-coated 300mm APO Sironar (which I sold roughly ten years ago) which sounds like the lens that you have. It is the same as a 300mm Sironar W or 300mm Sinaron WS, minus the yellow ring on the front lens barrel. I believe Rodenstock renamed the 300 APO Sironar to Sironar W when the Sironar S line was introduced, but Bob Salomon would be the expert on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 001.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	209395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 003.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	209397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 004.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	209398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 005.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	209399

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    For reference here are photos of my multi-coated 300mm APO Sironar (which I sold roughly ten years ago) which sounds like the lens that you have. It is the same as a 300mm Sironar W or 300mm Sinaron WS, minus the yellow ring on the front lens barrel. I believe Rodenstock renamed the 300 APO Sironar to Sironar W when the Sironar S line was introduced, but Bob Salomon would be the expert on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 001.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	209395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 003.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	209397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 004.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	209398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sironar W 300 Photo 005.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	209399

Hope this helps.
    Yes, when the S came out the Apo Sironar became the W. The Sironar N MC became the Apo Sironar N and the Apo Sironar S was brought out. And would eventually replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    To be precise, what you have is exactly what the label says: the 300mm Apo-Sironar. This is the first generation of Rodenstock's modern plasmat with 80-degree coverage. It's the predecessor to the Apo-Sironar-W. AFAIK it's never been documented whether there were any changes in the glass when they went to the Apo-Sironar-W branding. Even with the older label and earlier serial number it's a fine lens, relatively uncommon, and highly desirable for those who need that much coverage and can manage the weight. No need to play "it's labeled X but it's really Y" games, and if I were a prospective purchaser I'd find that really annoying.

Also: a reminder that valuation requests aren't allowed on the Forum.
    Never changed the glass, just the name addition and eventually the barrel striping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
    Hi, I am hopeful the group here can help me with what appears to be a pretty rare lens.

I believe that I have a Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens.

I went to the Rodenstock lens page at http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/lar...en.html#table1 and the only APO-Sironar lens on the entire page that has a 127mm thread at 300mm F5.6 is the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens.

I wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something and also confirm the identity of the lens based on the above criteria.

I retired recently and I am in the process of selling all the jewels that I have collected over the years. I want to make sure I have the right information on this lens before listing it for sale.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single listing on eBay, current or past sale, for the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens making this one a little bit of a head scratcher.

I have the lens in front of me and here is the actual text on the front lens barrel "Rodenstock APO-Sironar 1:5,6 f=300mm MC". The serial number is: 10989611.
    I have a clear filter on the front element so that is how I know the front filter thread is 127mm for sure. The lens is mounted on a Copal 3 shutter and it is in flawless mint condition.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about confirming the model of the lens and also any idea of what the current market value may be.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
    That is the original version of the W. Weren’t all that rare. We sold a lot of them to dealers in the USA. Especially Ken Hansen. Must be a lot of keepers out there, but the N and the S easily outsold it. It was rather large and heavy, all 3 of them so the includes the 150 and 210 versions as well.