Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC Lens

Re: Rare Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Never changed the glass, just the name addition and eventually the barrel striping.
    Thanks, Bob.

For those who are new here: Bob worked for many years with HP Marketing, which was Rodenstock's distributor in the US.

So ignore the part of my comment about the labeling. I stand by the part about the earlier version being a fine lens - that's based on experience, as I have all three of the 80-degree series (150/210/300) in a mix of Rodenstock and Sinar branding.

“... I went to the Rodenstock lens page at http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/lar...en.html#table1 and the only APO-Sironar lens on the entire page that has a 127mm thread at 300mm F5.6 is the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W 300mm F5.6 MC lens...”

For the record, that’s not a Rodenstock site.
    That is the Russian distributor’s page. Just like our Rodenstock page was our site, not the factory’s.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 11-Nov-2020 at 09:36.

Hi Karl, I honestly don't know where I bought it... Too many lenses over the years.

I am now positive this is an APO Sironar W based on all the helpful info that I received here and the information provided by Rodenstock.

I am in the process of getting it photographed today and listing it on eBay.

Thanks Karl,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Is this the lens you bought from me? If so, it is an Apo Sironar W. Early examples just say Apo Sironar.

Hi Oren, thanks for the info and the reminder and the valuation. I didn't think about that, and now I know for the future. Much appreciated.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    To be precise, what you have is exactly what the label says: the 300mm Apo-Sironar. This is the first generation of Rodenstock's modern plasmat with 80-degree coverage. It's the predecessor to the Apo-Sironar-W. AFAIK it's never been documented whether there were any changes in the glass when they went to the Apo-Sironar-W branding. Even with the older label and earlier serial number it's a fine lens, relatively uncommon, and highly desirable for those who need that much coverage and can manage the weight. No need to play "it's labeled X but it's really Y" games, and if I were a prospective purchaser I'd find that really annoying.

Also: a reminder that valuation requests aren't allowed on the Forum.

Hi Eric, thank you. Yes, this is the lens. I used this lens to do all my 8x10 copy negatives because it was so incredibly sharp and able to resolve the finest of details. If I weren't retiring, no way I would even consider selling it.

Thanks

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    For reference here are photos of my multi-coated 300mm APO Sironar (which I sold roughly ten years ago) which sounds like the lens that you have. It is the same as a 300mm Sironar W or 300mm Sinaron WS, minus the yellow ring on the front lens barrel. I believe Rodenstock renamed the 300 APO Sironar to Sironar W when the Sironar S line was introduced, but Bob Salomon would be the expert on this.

Attachment 209395Attachment 209397Attachment 209398Attachment 209399

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Bob. I always appreciate your knowledge. It is in fact rare today as a search on eBay will reveal that very quickly. I think people are holding on to them just like I did until my retirement now. I basically don't want the lens to just sit in a case and never be used. We are going to start traveling full time next year around the country to photograph the various wild horse herds with my Linhof Master Technika. I have the 150 and 270 lenses with the cams so I can use the Rangefinder at those focal lengths. I have been testing this out locally with our wild horses for the last 2 years and I know it all works as I want. Should be exciting.

Thanks again Bob.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That is the original version of the W. Weren’t all that rare. We sold a lot of them to dealers in the USA. Especially Ken Hansen. Must be a lot of keepers out there, but the N and the S easily outsold it. It was rather large and heavy, all 3 of them so the includes the 150 and 210 versions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
    Thanks for the info Bob. I always appreciate your knowledge. It is in fact rare today as a search on eBay will reveal that very quickly. I think people are holding on to them just like I did until my retirement now. I basically don't want the lens to just sit in a case and never be used. We are going to start traveling full time next year around the country to photograph the various wild horse herds with my Linhof Master Technika. I have the 150 and 270 lenses with the cams so I can use the Rangefinder at those focal lengths. I have been testing this out locally with our wild horses for the last 2 years and I know it all works as I want. Should be exciting.

Thanks again Bob.

Tim
    Good travels and shooting on your trip!