Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    I've been having the same issues. I have a much smaller darkroom than I used to, so I had to part with my Jobo, and got a SP-810. I've had nothing but trouble with it so far: Uneven development, and negatives sliding under the hold-downs under the lid. That said, I've always had trouble with uneven skies. I used to agitate too quickly. I started agitating more gently, and I've been trying to get the right equipment, and find the right technique, and stick with it. I'm going to try a more random agitation. There's some good info in this thread.
    The negative should never slide under the hold down tabs! Check the lid to make sure it is completely flat (we've had one report of a warped lid.)

Tim

Regarding agitation: how much liquid are you using? This is one case where too much is worse than too little! If you're familiar with wave dynamics, you'll remember that wave action is basically confined to the surface. By using more than 500ml, you'll get very little agitation at the bottom of the tray. In fact, we know of people using only 200ml and getting great results. Personally, I use around 350ml.

Tim

Probably a little late to this but and I use the sp8x10 tray as well with 5x7 so far so good after a few initial hiccups. What brings me to comment though is to suggest a possible light leak? I recently had one (see thread https://www.largeformatphotography.i...le-of-negative for images) which caused a similar banding, although more apparent, it was right through the middle in both vertical and horizontal positions.

I thought it was due to development technique, the tray, etc but come to find it was a leak where the bellows attach to the front standard. I'm only using the 475ml since I was kinda lazy having it all measured for the sp445 which I also use, and to see if I could get away with it which I do heh I get good coverage even with 475ml. For agitation, I "pan for gold" the first minute then lift the long edge, same for stop and fix.

The only real consistent issue I've had with the sp8x10 tray is if I don't tilt it forward when pouring the developer in I'll get three diagonal shadow lines on the corner near the spout but if I use Tim's suggested method of raising the back end while filling I don't get that behavior.

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by mooresean68 View Post
    Probably a little late to this but and I use the sp8x10 tray as well with 5x7 so far so good after a few initial hiccups. What brings me to comment though is to suggest a possible light leak? I recently had one (see thread https://www.largeformatphotography.i...le-of-negative for images) which caused a similar banding, although more apparent, it was right through the middle in both vertical and horizontal positions.

I thought it was due to development technique, the tray, etc but come to find it was a leak where the bellows attach to the front standard. I'm only using the 475ml since I was kinda lazy having it all measured for the sp445 which I also use, and to see if I could get away with it which I do heh I get good coverage even with 475ml. For agitation, I "pan for gold" the first minute then lift the long edge, same for stop and fix.

The only real consistent issue I've had with the sp8x10 tray is if I don't tilt it forward when pouring the developer in I'll get three diagonal shadow lines on the corner near the spout but if I use Tim's suggested method of raising the back end while filling I don't get that behavior.

-Sean
    My camera passed the flashlight test. It will be interesting to see whether other types of development tanks fail to cure the problem. My bellows were newly installed in 2019, so I would be quite disappointed if they were the issue!

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    The negative should never slide under the hold down tabs! Check the lid to make sure it is completely flat (we've had one report of a warped lid.)

Tim
    Also, check for the three center indents once you have your sheets loaded. If you can feel them, the sheets are far enough apart.