Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

  1. #11
    Bertha DeCool Bertha DeCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA, US
    Posts
    49

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    "I developed two sheets in 1020ml of Rodinal (1:50)"

    You can easily cut the amount of developer you used in half, Stearman recommends 500ml. I use Rodinal as well 500 ml to 10ml.

    Glad it's working out better for you, in my situation it is the perfect solution. And they're really nice folks too.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    684

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    If using dilute developers a good 2 minute initial gentle to moderate agitation takes care of most uneven development issues no matter what tank you use. A 5 minute prewash/soak also helps with Ilford films to remove the dye.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself. ... Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. -- Amelia Earhart
    http://www.searing.photography

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wassenaar, NL
    Posts
    155

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    If using dilute developers a good 2 minute initial gentle to moderate agitation takes care of most uneven development issues no matter what tank you use. A 5 minute prewash/soak also helps with Ilford films to remove the dye.
    I do that with Pancro400 too, since I once saw what came off

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fairview, OR
    Posts
    550

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    I've been having the same issues. I have a much smaller darkroom than I used to, so I had to part with my Jobo, and got a SP-810. I've had nothing but trouble with it so far: Uneven development, and negatives sliding under the hold-downs under the lid. That said, I've always had trouble with uneven skies. I used to agitate too quickly. I started agitating more gently, and I've been trying to get the right equipment, and find the right technique, and stick with it. I'm going to try a more random agitation. There's some good info in this thread.

  5. #15

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    I've been having the same issues. I have a much smaller darkroom than I used to, so I had to part with my Jobo, and got a SP-810. I've had nothing but trouble with it so far: Uneven development, and negatives sliding under the hold-downs under the lid. That said, I've always had trouble with uneven skies. I used to agitate too quickly. I started agitating more gently, and I've been trying to get the right equipment, and find the right technique, and stick with it. I'm going to try a more random agitation. There's some good info in this thread.
    Unfortunately, my original problem has recurred, even with the revised agitation technique. The sky seems to be a particularly problematic area. I've basically given up on the Stearman Press tray and will continue to try reels for Paterson tanks and the "taco" method. This is very discouraging. If you find something that works, let me know! Good luck.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wassenaar, NL
    Posts
    155

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMarv View Post
    Unfortunately, my original problem has recurred, even with the revised agitation technique. The sky seems to be a particularly problematic area. I've basically given up on the Stearman Press tray and will continue to try reels for Paterson tanks and the "taco" method. This is very discouraging. If you find something that works, let me know! Good luck.
    Thanks for sharing this!

  7. #17
    Nodda Duma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMarv View Post
    Unfortunately, my original problem has recurred, even with the revised agitation technique. The sky seems to be a particularly problematic area. I've basically given up on the Stearman Press tray and will continue to try reels for Paterson tanks and the "taco" method. This is very discouraging. If you find something that works, let me know! Good luck.
    Did you try picking it up *completely off the countertop* and rocking it around? This and 500ml of developer works for me with B&W, C-41, E-6, etc. It’s the same equipment as yours, so it’s fair to say it comes down to agitation.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    642

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    I can offer some personal experience based on a lot of testing I did a few years back on different sheet film processing methods. I was trying to determine which method(s) work best in relation to development uniformity.

    Long story short, I found this type of development (ie horizontal in trays, and moving the tray for agitation) was bad, no matter what kind of setup, agitation method/frequency, type of tray, size of tray, dividers, no dividers etc. I would love for this method to work, and in “thought experiments” it seems like it should work, so it was both surprising and depressing, but no matter how many times I repeated the experiments the results were always the same.

    If anyone is able to figure it out please let me know.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    100

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    I will second the "completely off the countertop". I do that agitation about 30s to start with and then 10-15s every 30s. I don't have 5X7 but I have set the SP-810 for 4X5. I have used it for both sheet film and dry plates in that size.

    With sheet film the only issue I run into is the film on the far side from where I pour out ends up on top of the sheet closer to the spout. Probably each time I pour out each respective liquid the far sheet slides down with the angle. Despite that one issue, I have had more consistently even development in the 8X10 tray for the 4X5 sheets vs what I was seeing in the SP-445.

  10. #20

    Re: Uneven Development -- 5X7's in Stearman Press 8X10 Tray

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Did you try picking it up *completely off the countertop* and rocking it around? This and 500ml of developer works for me with B&W, C-41, E-6, etc. It’s the same equipment as yours, so it’s fair to say it comes down to agitation.
    Yes, unfortunately the agitation technique doesn’t seem to affect outcome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Stearman Press SP-810 Daylight Tray and Pyrocat HD
    By jurgenestanislao in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2020, 21:21
  2. Uneven tray development with X-Ray film
    By jonbrisbincreative in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2016, 19:16
  3. Uneven Tray Development or Light leak?
    By Dignum in forum Cameras - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and Accessories
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 7-Jul-2015, 07:56
  4. Uneven development Fp4+ (8x10) Pyrocat HD
    By David Brunell in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2012, 19:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •