Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF strobe sync today???

RF strobe sync today???

Hi,
    Planning on using strobes on location & studio at distances of 10' to 50' away from from DSLR, 35mm, MF & large format camera set-ups... Used to rent a Quantum radio sync when needed... Familiar with there was a transmitter at camera, and a receiver at strobe pack... Looking at modern units on that auction site, saw many Pocket Wizard transceivers that go on a hot shoe, but what connects to the pack??? Do modern packs have this built in to receive now, or is there another "dongle" required???

Second question is about trigger voltages... The cheap import RF units mostly are set-up for an on-camera type small flash on them, but I will be using my Norman 200b and Speedo 2403 with them, and concerned these might fry these RF units if the strobe trigger voltage is too high (or a DSLR)... Any easy way to measure the strobe trigger voltage just through the sync outlet to see if it is in spec with what the RF receiver will handle???

Enquiring mind needs to know...

Thanks,

Steve K

Re: RF strobe sync today???

My Pocket Wizards came with a cable with a plug which connects to the flash head. I used 1500 W/sec Balcars, for hours at a stretch never a problem.
    If I use the generator, I can connect a Pocket Wizard to that.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Hi,
    Planning on using strobes on location & studio at distances of 10' to 50' away from from DSLR, 35mm, MF & large format camera set-ups... Used to rent a Quantum radio sync when needed... Familiar with there was a transmitter at camera, and a receiver at strobe pack... Looking at modern units on that auction site, saw many Pocket Wizard transceivers that go on a hot shoe, but what connects to the pack??? Do modern packs have this built in to receive now, or is there another "dongle" required???

Second question is about trigger voltages... The cheap import RF units mostly are set-up for an on-camera type small flash on them, but I will be using my Norman 200b and Speedo 2403 with them, and concerned these might fry these RF units if the strobe trigger voltage is too high (or a DSLR)... Any easy way to measure the strobe trigger voltage just through the sync outlet to see if it is in spec with what the RF receiver will handle???

Enquiring mind needs to know...

Thanks,

Steve K
    Why not ask Samy’s,
    Paul’s, Sylvio’s or some of the other dealers in your area that sell them?

I use a pocket wizard triggers system. There is a mini phone jack to connect the receiver to the strobe power pack. Same with the transmitter, you can use a 1/8" to PC cord for the camera if there is no hot shoe. In my case, I have a 1/8" to 1/4" phone cable to connect to a Hensel pack. I have never had any problems. flashzebra.com sell all kinds of cables.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Do modern packs have this built in to receive now, or is there another "dongle" required???
    Some have a receiver built in, some don't and will need a physical connection between receiver and sync socket. Need to check the specs on the particular packs you're considering.

John Olsen

Pocket Wizards work well. Get trigger cables with jack to household (for your Speedo 2403), and PC to jack (Hasselblad to Pocket Wizard), and maybe PC to PC (camera to battery powered lights), and spares of each. You'll need one at the camera and one at each flash unit. Don't leave the batteries in if you're not using for awhile.

I have been using Pocket Wizards for the last ten years. They have worked with my large format lenses, Mamiy RB67, and Nikon cameras. They have been connected to Norman, Speedotron, and Profoto studio strobes and never failed me.

I highly recommend the Pocket Wizards.

Regards,

Miguel

Note that many units now are "transceivers"; able to transmit or receive.

I have used the terrible cheap eBay RF units, and the very reliable Paul C Buff RF units, plugged into Speedotron packs, and there was no problem, so at least those particular units don't have a problem with the voltage. If you ever consider buying a cheap radio remote, please don't. I'd pay a lot to avoid the embarrassment those units brought me. If you have the old style Speedotron pack with the household type plug, you'll need a cable to connect the receiver to the pack, often a 1/8" mono to household cable.

I also used Canon DSLRs plugged direct through the PC cable into the Speedo pack, without a problem, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone else.