Thread: Tips and Tricks for cleaning and storing old brass lenses

Tips and Tricks for cleaning and storing old brass lenses

Hello Gentlemen,

since my collection of brass lenses is raising, I asked myself an important question.

How should I store and clean my lenses correctly, so they can last for a lifetime or more than that.

Im very excited for your tips

Re: Tips and Tricks for cleaning and storing old brass lenses

For myself, I carefully take the lens apart (if I can) and very carefully clean the glass with Kodak Lens Cleaner and Kodak lens cleaning paper. If this doesn't work, I then clean the lens with Kodak Film cleaner followed by cleaning with distilled water. For the brass and other metal parts I use distilled water with a very soft cleaning cloth which gets washed after each use. Patina on the brass is never altered or changed in any way. Lenses are stored face up in a cabinet on a large sheet of archival 4 ply board. Humidity kept at between 35-45%. Lenses are taken out and used as I would any of my newer lenses. Getting proper caps for the lenses has always been a problem. When they are transported outside for use, I just wrap them up in a folding velcro lens protector.

I never touch a lens with the sandpaper called "lens tissue." Look at it under a microscope. I only use finely powdered activated charcoal on cotton q-tip. Been doing this for at least 50 years. Never had even a microscopic scratch.

(Shrek)

I have a repurposed china cabinet for lenses. Nothing fancy, I just pack all the lenses in there as high as I can stack them. I have 2 or 3 moisture control cans in there, basically the same stuff as in the moisture control packets that come with everything now, except they're in a larger container and I microwave them every spring to dry them out. Dollar store has them.