Thread: Schneider 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar in barrel for Sinar

Schneider 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar in barrel for Sinar

From a previous discussion,
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...44#post1574844

Daniel Unkefer asked about how this Schneider 500mm f 5.5 Tele Xenar was mounted to the Sinar lens board.
    Mounting to the Sinar lens board was done with an aluminum collar threaded to fit the lens barrel with a recess step and threaded flange
    on the lens board end to assure no possible way for light leaks. The aluminum collar began as a 6061 aluminum 4.5" OD_3.5" ID tubular extrusion (common at the metal suppliers). Set up on the lathe, then worked on as needed. At some point, it will be painted black inside with the exterior polished aluminum to match the finish of the Tele Xenar.

Side view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500mm Tele Xenar_Sinar side.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	209344

Top view,

Name:	500mm Tele Xenar_Sinar top.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	209345

Back view,

Name:	500mm Tele Xenar_Sinar back.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	209346

Comparison to a Goerz 19" f11 APO artar (Red Dot) which is the normally used tele on 5x7.
    The 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar is larger, heavier and .. might weight as much as a lightweight 4x5 folder camera.

Name:	500mm Tele Xenar_Sinar front.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	209351

Optically, the Tele Xenar is absolutely usable at f5.5 full aperture, improves one stop down at f8, by f11 is about as good as it will get.
    Plenty "sharp" with lower contrast similar to other Schneider Xenar lenses.

These are more common in a Compound# 5 shutter. Most were sold for Linhof 5x7_13x18cm Technika. Some have made remarkable adaptors
    to fit this on to a Linhof 4x5 Technika and .... On the Sinar Norma with Sinar shutter, there are no stability or other issues. Lens simply works on the Norma or other Sinar front standard with the Sinar shutter.

Your Sunday lens curiosity,
    Bernice

Re: Schneider 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar in barrel for Sinar

Very nice work Bernice.

David

Hi Bernice,

Thank you the the information above. This is a lens I would like to have at some point in the future, I have most of the Tele-Xenars and Xenars mounted on Norma boards. I even have the 360mm barrel in an automatic iris Plaubel Makiflex mount. Maybe some day I will buy a good lathe.

Within their limitations these lenses do exactly what you want them to do. They seem to be highly underrated. The 36cm was a standard on Linhofs and Speed Graphics

The 500mm is just flat out cool to my eyes. I also like the Tele-Artons....

Fuji GX680 Prism fitted custom to Makis by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Makiflex automatic iris Schneider 360mm Tele-Xenar.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Decades ago when GOOD Cibachrome prints were possible and color transparency film was very common, photographer friend introduced me to the advantages of a lower contrast lens like the Xenar. This lens in combo with the Cibachrome print making process from that time was a good combo. The lower contrast, less color saturated color transparencies made with the Xenar made the printers at the color lab happier as it helped them make a better print.

Since that time both Schneider Xenar and Kodak Ektar became the lenses of choice for those and other reasons. IMO, both Xenar and Tele Xenar are underrated and under valued for the image excellence they can produce.

The first Tele Xenar was a 1980's 360mm f5.5, initially purchased in barrel then the lens cells were installed into a Copal# 3 shutter and used on the 6x9 Arca Swiss. Never disappointed with the image quality and image results. Since then, the idea of owning the 500mm was just an idea. This one came up at a very low cost making it happen. Yet to run some film with this 500mm Tele Xenar, image on the ground glass looks good and very promising.

Bernice

Nice machining on the adapter tube.