Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

Re: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

I was given some studio gear, including a couple of soft boxes that turned (seeming made from simular type of materials)... So I did some research and testing...

First thing is to try to remove most of the "sticky", so tried washing, washing with strong detergent (Dawn), alcohol, lighter fluid, rubbing, then re-washing... One was still sticky, but one was barely tacky after treatment... The better one was then rubbed with Mink Oil shoe protector creme and left in the sun for a couple of days... Not bad for one, to the heap for the other...

Nothing to lose here...

Steve K

This works for me too - I keep it fully assembled when not on a trip, allow it to breathe and hang it from the ceiling in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I had a small one go sticky, started to fall apart, so it went. I picked up a jumbo one and I store it fully assembled hanging vertically on a wall. So far it is perfect, the only time it is folded is when we are away and I need to use it.

Mick.

I store mine in a pillowcase in a somewhat-dark corner of my closet. Whenever I open an electronic product with a desiccant package, I date it, and throw it in the back of the Changing tent. 7 years so far, no problem. I occasionally go through and throw out the older desiccant packs.

The instructions state not to fold it tight but rather loosely, I guess to get some air. Here's from official instructions.

STORING YOUR FILM CHANGING TENT
    Store your Harrison Tent loosely (unrolled) in a cardboard box. If you have silica packets, you can put them in the box with the tent.

Use our stuff sack for travel only. The fabric needs to ‘breathe’ when it is stored for long periods of time.

Don’t store your film changing tent in an area with extreme temperature variations (ie. car trunk, garage). This can damage the fabric over time.
    https://cameraessentials.com/product-support

Im kind of curious if treating the sticky material with an absorbant powder like talc/chalk powder would help. Obviously I wouldnt do anything that could get inside the bag, but I have a back-up older bag where there is some stickiness on the outside. I may try an experiment or two and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    Im kind of curious if treating the sticky material with an absorbant powder like talc/chalk powder would help. Obviously I wouldnt do anything that could get inside the bag, but I have a back-up older bag where there is some stickiness on the outside. I may try an experiment or two and see if it helps.
    Oh my! Talc or chalk or any other powder is the LAST thing that I would want anywhere near a changing bag because that crap WILL get on my unexposed film and need to be removed later by spotting prints or working on scans.

How do you all keep the inside of the tent free from dust and other crap that could get into the slide holders when changing film?

To the last two posters, the stickiness is on the outside of the tent, the inside is unaffected since the sticky material is not used on the inner layers. Im thinking of basically doing the same thing dust would do (which I deal with quite a bit where I use the bag. No talc would be used on the inside, only on the outside fabric.

I have a sticky tent (and focus cloth) as well and am at the point where I'm tempted to use solvents on it. nothing to lose really, but it could mean having extra poles tempted to buy the Chinese eBay tent if I get another one. Have a cotton Shadowbox which I really like, but it's not as large as the jumbo harrison (which works well for 7x17)
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

After 10+ years of flawless use, I inadvertently stored my Harrison tent is a room where morning sunlight would blast through the window and illuminate the tent for several hours each morning. The tent became sticky and I ultimately elected to replace it. Take heed to all the recommendations for proper storage.