Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

Re: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    A cotton pillow case works well for storing a tent, LOOSELY inside, if you cannot hang it up in a closet or behind a door.
    The best storage method is to hang it up in a closet or behind a door, so that it gets some airflow, and make sure it doesn't see high temperatures(90F, 32C ~) for longer, sustained periods of time. Leave both of the zippers slightly open, and from time to time, pull it out and air out the inside.
    The silver material that Harrison uses is specially made for them, and the silver coating is applied to another lightweight nylon fabric that has a rubberized, pigmented coating on the back, plus a DWR coating on the front. LOTS of chemicals going on there.

The included stuff sack is for travel or short-term storage only!

My Jumbo and standard tents are in good condition because I store them appropriately. The Jumbo is over 10yrs old. The standard likely older. Yes, for a long time Harrison did not include a care card with the "proper" storage instructions for long-term storage when the tent is not being used. The stuff sack is made from 400 denier nylon pack cloth, which also has a polyurethane backing on the reverse side, and DWR coatings(for water repellency) on the face side. Again, more chemicals. Some, that long term, DO NOT interact well when they are both outgassing within a confined space.

A Harrison tent, when properly cared for, can last a LONG time. But you must take care of it. Only clean it with water, preferably distilled. Clean, lint-free cloth or a very, very rung-out sponge, like nearly dry. NO SOAP. If the silver coating starts to fleck off, or get gummy, let the tent air out in the backyard sunshine for a couple days, zippers left open so the air can flow inside it as well. Bring it in at night before the dew can collect on it. This can help with any residual outgassing that might be occurring. Then using that very, very, rung-out sponge with distilled water, you can lightly clean it, if needed. A good vacuuming with a brush attachment is usually all that is needed if you are dealing with loose dust. But if you're in a dry, low-humidity climate where static is more likely, a light sponge to wipe out dust prior to use can be helpful as well.

Thanks for the advice; I was wondering how to deal with my sticky darkcloths and changing tent. I don't recall ever getting any instructions, but hey, like Apple, I figured out how to use them.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

New Harrison tent instructions from Filmtools where I bought mine.
    https://www.filmtools.com/harfilchante.html

New Storage Recommendations for all Harrison Tents and Bags
    Store your Harrison Tent loosely (unrolled) in a cardboard box or paper bag. If you have silica packets, you can put them in the box with the Tent. Use the stuff sack for travel only. The Fabric needs to "breathe" when it's stored for a long time. Don't store in an area with extreme temperature variations (ie. car trunk, garage). This can damage the fabric over time.

I’m keeping my completely set up (meaning as a fully configured, ready to use tent) on one side of the room. Gets ventilation, A/C, etc. been there many years no issues so far. Takes up some room but I don’t mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I’m keeping my completely set up (meaning as a fully configured, ready to use tent) on one side of the room. Gets ventilation, A/C, etc. been there many years no issues so far. Takes up some room but I don’t mind it.
    What do you do about dust?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    What do you do about dust?
    I use one of those microfiber thingys that removes the dust from the outside. also use a vacuum cleaner inside every now and then. But I haven’t seen dust being an issue (it’s not like s it’s sitting in a garage). Obviously I keep it (double) zipped up.