Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

I have a Harrison changing tent that is very “sticky.” The previous owner had it rolled up and stored for years. It also smelled, but I have been able to get rid of that. Any ideas on how to remove the stickiness? I changed film in it on a recent trip and really had no issues other than the sticky material. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Harrison Jumbo Film Changing Tent - Sticky

it happens... probably the silver will start peeing off, but it should stay light tight. the silver is an added layer I believe.

A representative told me this:
    Sadly, once the material starts to delaminate, it means the coating on the fabric is breaking down. There is no way to clean it or arrest the process. We do know that certain chemicals can trigger the decomposition of the fabric- the insecticide DEET damages fabric, and we suspect there are other chemicals that can also. We are looking into the kinds of environmental chemical exposure that the tents may be exposed to. So far, we have not been able to isolate one exact cause, and the fact that not every tent will have this problem.

We also have some new recommendations for storage of our products to help keep the fabrics in top shape. These are similar to the recommendations for storing camping tents and other outdoor equipment made of fabric. We now recommend that the Tents (and Changing Bags) be stored loosely in a cardboard box when not in use for a long time. This helps the fabric 'breathe' and stay dry. It helps to throw some silica packets in the box, and store in an inside location where there are no big extremes of temperature.
    I wonder if there is new advice or what others have to recommend.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Jim,

I had one go sticky on me. After that I tried storing it unrolled, but the stickiness never went away. Never seemed to loose light tightness though. I eventually replaced the tent with another. I'm storing that one loose and hoping for the best over the long run.

Bob

I had a small one go sticky, started to fall apart, so it went. I picked up a jumbo one and I store it fully assembled hanging vertically on a wall. So far it is perfect, the only time it is folded is when we are away and I need to use it.

Mick.

Thanks for the relevant info on such an expensive tool.

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    Jim,

I had one go sticky on me. After that I tried storing it unrolled, but the stickiness never went away. Never seemed to loose light tightness though. I eventually replaced the tent with another. I'm storing that one loose and hoping for the best over the long run.

Bob
    Bob, this is kind of a fall back one and the one I currently use is a Chinese one that doesn't seem to have any problem with its material. Guess I'll probably have to live with the stickiness.

I may try to spray it with some sort of acrylic spray but will make sure the spray works on fabrics. If I go down that road I'll post whether it works or not.

Are you sure it’s not waxed cotton?

I have an old wax cotton field coat that is sticky and keeps out rain
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Are you sure it’s not waxed cotton?

I have an old wax cotton field coat that is sticky and keeps out rain

I wore waxed cotton on motorcycles in the sixties and early seventies, they are definitely not waxed cotton changing tents.

Mick.

Good to know. I do like my old Barbour...and bike

I have thrown out a number of changing bags, they felt clammy and diseased

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I wore waxed cotton on motorcycles in the sixties and early seventies, they are definitely not waxed cotton changing tents.

Mick.
    Tin Can