Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Black Specs on Arista EDU Ultra 100

Tiny Black Specs on Arista EDU Ultra 100

Been shooting a new box of Arista EDU Ultra 100 in 2.25" x 3.25". First three images I processed came out with these tiny little "pepper" specs throughout on the negative. Shot some of this film in this size a few years ago and don't remember this problem. First two processed in Rodinal, last processed in HC-110. Did a double filter of my fixer after the first two images, which didn't seem to help the situation. Most noticeable in a couple night sky shots which were long exposures (2.25 minutes each). Wondering if it's "light noise" from random light, or possibly distant stars that weren't noticeable to the naked eye, or dirty fixer (which is why I filtered it for the last shot which made no difference). Or if it's possibly this film. I've read not so glowing reviews about the quality control of the film batches. See attached images.

Has anyone noticed something similar with Arista EDU Ultra 100?

Best,
    -Tim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrainStation.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	209271

Zoom in on specs

Name:	TrainStatSpecs.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	209272

Re: Tiny Black Specs on Arista EDU Ultra 100

There are some posts about similar issues on photrio with this film. But this was in 120 format, not sheet film. In sheet film I've had the occasional blank spot (rendering black in print), but that's something else from what you're seeing. Like you said, there are sometimes qc/consistency issues with foma films of different kinds.

Can't be random stars as it shows on the solid surface of solid objects.

Dust on the film surface when you took the image, possibly.

What water do you use to mix the developer? Possible to have small bits of dirt/gunk in tap water. More possible if you use a water filter that is "charcoal/carbon" to help with taste.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I have noticed a lot of imperfections in bargain film. I'm hoping that imperfections in cheap 8x10 film will become a desirable aesthetic like the crummy appearance of wet-plate that everyone loves.

Thanks for the replies. I use bottled drinking water (Hinkley Schmitt) for mixing developer and for mixing fixer. Only use tap water for pre-soak, and stop, and final wash, then Photo-Flo mixed with bottled water. Using the same chemicals and process on Tri-X 35mm rolls, no "pepper" specs. Just on this Arista EDU Ultra 100. Maybe I got a bad batch. 2.25" x 3.25" getting tough to come by these days.

Thanks again.

Best,
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
    Been shooting a new box of Arista EDU Ultra 100 in 2.25" x 3.25". First three images I processed came out with these tiny little "pepper" specs throughout on the negative. Shot some of this film in this size a few years ago and don't remember this problem. First two processed in Rodinal, last processed in HC-110. Did a double filter of my fixer after the first two images, which didn't seem to help the situation. Most noticeable in a couple night sky shots which were long exposures (2.25 minutes each). Wondering if it's "light noise" from random light, or possibly distant stars that weren't noticeable to the naked eye, or dirty fixer (which is why I filtered it for the last shot which made no difference). Or if it's possibly this film. I've read not so glowing reviews about the quality control of the film batches. See attached images.

Has anyone noticed something similar with Arista EDU Ultra 100?

Best,
    -Tim

Name:	TrainStation.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	209271

Zoom in on specs

Name:	TrainStatSpecs.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	209272
    YEP, had this earlier this year. Contacted Freestyle and emulsion number...I have a thread and I tested with new dev, new stop, new fixer, different dev, etc etc. It was a new box of EdU 400. People had same EXACT problem with Foma and 120 film. Long story short, it's not something you are doing wrong, def an emulsion problem. Sent mine back to Freestyle and got a new box and no problems
    --

Hi ericantonio, Thanks for the reply. Would love to look thru the thread you posted on this issue(never mind, I found it, and that is exactly what I am seeing). Unfortunately this was the last box Freestyle had, so I could maybe get money back, but not replacement. Trying to be patient until the Ilford is available early next year.

Best,
    -Tim

Here is ericantonio's post on this same issue.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ghlight=Arista

Best,
    -Tim

Regular user of EDU/Foma here, and had this issue with the 6X9 ISO film specks... Noted there might be film cutting issues leaving a sloppy edge with debris (esp around film notch cut-out area)...

Did have success by running my finger around edges of film before loading into holders, and rapping sheet hard on tabletop to dislodge specks... That worked, but still annoyed the notch is so big, it goes into image area...

Have less trouble with the 4X5 size...

I regularly wash each sheet of film under water stream hose to release particles during wash (esp edge areas) and has worked... Use of a hardening fixer also holds these specks in their place on edge...

Have also noticed this can happen with other brands of film, especially 35mm with all of those perf holes that can retain debris...

Steve K

Hi Steve, These appear to be in the emulsion, not loose specks laying on the film.

Best,
    -Tim