Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Black Specs on Arista EDU Ultra 100

Re: Tiny Black Specs on Arista EDU Ultra 100

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
    Hi Steve, These appear to be in the emulsion, not loose specks laying on the film.

Best,
    -Tim
    Also, are you using a stop bath, or just water stop??? This made a difference...

Steve K

Hi Steve, Tried it both ways, made no difference on my negs. What difference did you see? I was using Kodak's Indicator Stop Bath.

Best,
    -Tim

I had pinholes with acid stop bath... It can be from gases evolved in an acid environment from emulsion... Even in a very mild stop bath, it can happen... Read instruction sheet, but even in the very weak acid solution, I have seen it happen, but not in plain water...

Still good film, but picky about some process stuff...

Steve K

Hi Steve,

Maybe you didn't read my initial post. These aren't pinholes. These are black specs, in the emulsion. When you hold the negative up to the light, it looks like someone sprinkled finely ground black pepper all over the neg. Doesn't rub or wipe off. It's somehow in the emulsion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	209365 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample1a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	209366

Best,
    -Tim

Drew Wiley

The only Arista that speed I've ever used was way back when it was simply private labeled FP4. Now it's all Fomapan. And I have had problems with tiny emulsion zits and fine parallel scratches or cracking on two different batches of 200 speed Foma/Arista sheet film, so quite using that brand entirely. The one time I tried 400 speed sheets, I simply didn't care much for the results.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    YEP, had this earlier this year. Contacted Freestyle and emulsion number...I have a thread and I tested with new dev, new stop, new fixer, different dev, etc etc. It was a new box of EdU 400. People had same EXACT problem with Foma and 120 film. Long story short, it's not something you are doing wrong, def an emulsion problem. Sent mine back to Freestyle and got a new box and no problems
    Hi ericantonio, I contacted Freestyle and sent them two scans and they agreed with what you were saying, it is a bad batch, so they refunded my money. They have no more in stock, so I'll have to wait until after the first of the year, when they are supposed to get some more 2.25 x 3.25 sheet film in stock.

Best,
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
    Hi ericantonio, I contacted Freestyle and sent them two scans and they agreed with what you were saying, it is a bad batch, so they refunded my money. They have no more in stock, so I'll have to wait until after the first of the year, when they are supposed to get some more 2.25 x 3.25 sheet film in stock.

Best,
    -Tim
    That's great! They said that mine was first they heard and I mentioned LFF forum having problems with Foma. I gave them my emulsion number etc, and said don't be surprised if people come and have the same problem. Great they did that. It's neat store in LA, they have classes and gallery out on the side of the store.
    --

Blair Compact Wolly WA Farm Tree by rrunnertexas, on Flickr

Fresh box of Arista EDU 5x7 - about 10 sheets of the 50 have this effect. Before reading this thread I thought it was something I was doing wrong, however, it appears they were having a bad day at the Arista factory in multiple formats. Well, it is unique to see all those stars before sunset.

Hi rrunnertexas, sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Are you saying it only effected 10 of the 50 sheets, or that you've only shot 10 of the 50 sheets, and all your images have had the issue?

Best,
    -Tim

Tim,

I have shot all 50 sheets - some did not have much of the spots and others look really bad, like the above. Perhaps I can call Freestyle and see if they will help me out? Only thing is all the time and travel spent creating the images and to have the spots is really disappointing. A good excuse to go back out shooting! Maybe this time with some FP4+.