Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring 4x5 filmholders help

Re: Restoring 4x5 filmholders help

Quote Originally Posted by chemtech View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the suggestions, however:

No one actually addressed my question, so let me clarify:
    Most of the holders are the real Graflex type with aluminum on the pull ends, and wooden rails. The aluminum has been painted over multiple times covering previous owners holder numbers. That is the part I want to strip (Kevin, I never mentioned "sanding") and the question was, if a particular type of paint was preferred for those, or if, since they aren't really in contact with anything, any paint would work. As for the rails, I don't plan on doing anything to them as far as "painting" them or actually doing anything to them. They appear to have been stained or ebonized, and have only a minimal finish (a light oil or maybe a coat of wax, or maybe left natural).

I realize that it would probably be a better idea to just buy new, or get good used ones, but I'm recently retired and am just getting back into analog photography so I have the time to mess with restoring the camera and film holders. And I'm one of those people who has over the years "restored" a house (after a fire), maintained a rental or two, and restored a '55 Chevy, so I thought I'd try a camera. I think I have the skillset and tools to at least, try.

LabRat -- Interesting handle -- I recently retired from 45 years as a Registered Medical Technologist, with most of my work in Clinical Chemistry hence my Chemtech handle ("LabRat" was taken).
    If the main issue is remains of old stickers/tape on metal light trap covering causing lumps, they can be leveled out... If not painted, a little lighter fluid soaked into just that spot will loosen the remains (careful with any fluids or solvents around the wood, as it can penetrate causing swelling there...) Then, as a scraper, remove blade from Xacto knife and put sharp end into handle side and use blunt end as a scraper, at an angle pushing it to scrape a little at a time evenly, until lump levels out...

Sorry I beat others to the name LabRat, but was asked by a member recently where that came from??? I said when working in large commercial photo labs, the name was lab "slang" for someone that seemed to live in the lab... Deep in the bowels of the lab was usually a section (like film processing, etc) with a room that no one would see anyone coming or going from, yet the little slot in the door for sending/receiving always had the work finished, but you never saw that guy inside... He was the LabRat... It spooked me someone could end up like that, but enough time in the dark, and he becomes me... I ended up there, the one who lives in the dark, but gets things done... And it's the year of the rat, and rats survive and flourish wherever they are... And bring good luck (if you don't squash 'em)... ;-)

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 8-Nov-2020 at 06:38.