Thread: Voigtländer Petzval 3B rear lens element is missing / Need help

Voigtländer Petzval 3B rear lens element is missing / Need help

Hello guys, I just bought this beautiful Voigtländer Petzval at an auction. Maybe it´s a 3B because the diameter is 2 inches.

But there´s a problem... The "magnifying" rear element is missing. I don´t know how it´s called correctly.

I also have this Jamin Darlot Petzval, which has a plastic "magnifying" element. Maybe someone put it in there because of the same reason.

So it needs to be possible to repair this wonderful lens, so I can use it.

I am thankful for everykind of help or tip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto 06.11.20, 15 31 49.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	209233
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto 06.11.20, 15 31 06.jpg   Foto 06.11.20, 15 30 53.jpg  

Re: Voigtländer Petzval 3B rear lens element is missing / Need help

Hello guys, I just bought this beautiful Voigtländer Petzval at an auction. Maybe it´s a 3B because the diameter is 2 inches.

But there´s a problem... The "magnifying" rear element is missing. I don´t know how it´s called correctly.

The two rear lens are more likely to be damaged than the front achromat. Whether the seller has misled you or didn’t actually realize the loss of the lens is always difficult to judge! You are unlikely to be able to purchase another incomplete lens with the lenses you need. And if you did, you would have to pay about 1/2 the value of a complete lens. Pricing of incomplete classic lenses is usually based on the assumption that spare parts are readily available and that photographic lenses can made as easily as opticians’ lenses! Best choice is to return the item. Otherwise, try and buy a cheap projection Petzval and use the two lenses and the spacer.

I also have this Jamin Darlot Petzval, which has a plastic "magnifying" element. Maybe someone put it in there because of the same reason.

Perhaps, but many sold classic lenses these days come from museum displays where appearance, rather use, was most important.
    If the mounting ring has gone, there is not much you can do - otherwise the Voigtlander idea might work.

So it needs to be possible to repair this wonderful lens, so I can use it.

I am thankful for everykind of help or tip

Gosh, you have been very unlucky!