Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing sheet film from rotary tubes question

Removing sheet film from rotary tubes question

Hello all
    I am new to processing my sheet films in tubes
    In attempting to remove the negatives from the tubes, once processing is complete, I have scratched the emulsion and pretty well ruined the sheet.
    This has happened to two out of the ten sheets I have processed.
    This rate is way to high
    There scratches are not from the tubes, rather they result from me trying to grasp and edge to pry away from the wall.

I am asking this site if anyone has a technique that might help in me retrieving the sheets from the tubes undamaged

Thanks to all who reply
    Dan

Re: Removing sheet film from rotary tubes question

Hello from Hamilton. Are the tubes filled with water? If not do so and then lift a corner and they will come out easy peasy.

have you tried filling the tube with water, then reaching to the bottom edge of the film and moving it up so the top edge can be grasped?

What they said above regarding the water. Then, use a fingernail to gently pry one corner out and the sheet should slide out easily.

I process 4x5 film in BTZS tubes, and 5x7 and 8x10 in home-made tubes. I've found that by lifting the corner of the sheet with a fingernail, I can easily grasp it with my fingertips. Sometimes the sheet tends to want to stick to the inner wall of the tube, but curling it a bit more usually breaks it free.

Hi Dan ... had the same problem with 8 x 10 and larger sheets. To prevent the problem, I cut a polyester/mylar sheet and insert that in the drum. When the processing is completed, I pull out the polyester/mylar sheet with the film attached, remove the sheet film, then finish up. You might find the anti-halation backing has not been removed during the processing because the film will stick to the polyester/mylar liner. I just remove the sheet film and place in a tray of fixer and it is taken care of. Then it is removed and washed in a tray.

Good luck!

I develop in JOBO Expert drums, but the concept is similar. I use forceps to grab a corner of the film which then easily releases from the drum. I find forceps easier and safer to use than my fingers because they hold the firmly film in a very small area and there is little risk of marring the emulsion. Your fingers of course might be more talented than mine...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I keep 2 pieces of thin plastic, about the thickness of sheet film, measuring about 4" at one end narrowing down to a rounded end of about 1/4". Use it to make it easy to start to remove sheet film from holders and also to remove film from JOBO Expert drums. Have been using it for about two years now and have yet to have it mat or scratch either dry or wet film. One is hanging from a cord and easily gotten in the dark to remove film from holders. The other on a hanger above the sink to help remove wet film from JOBO drums. With no emulsion on the plastic, it can't absorb water and swell up.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I develop in JOBO Expert drums, but the concept is similar. I use forceps to grab a corner of the film which then easily releases from the drum. I find forceps easier and safer to use than my fingers because they hold the firmly film in a very small area and there is little risk of marring the emulsion. Your fingers of course might be more talented than mine...
    Jobo drums are barrel shaped which basically eliminates the problems encountered with a cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Jobo drums are barrel shaped which basically eliminates the problems encountered with a cylinder.
    I see, thanks Jim

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/