Thread: Dev problem or light leak?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dev problem or light leak?

I have recently been having issues with banding on my 4x5 negatives. I use an Intrepid Camera and develop my film with a 20th Century film holder which I recently acquired (in a Paterson tank).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markings2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	209180

Name:	markings1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	209181

Name:	markings3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	209182

Initially I thought that the marks came from the 20th century film holder because they seem to be where the film is held by the plastic arms. On closer inspection, the marks only occur on outdoors photography ie in full light. I don't seem to get the markings when taking indoor portraits and still life shots. They also seem to only occur on landscape orientation and not when the camera is in vertical/portrait mode.

Any ideas?

Re: Dev problem or light leak?

Probably time to inspect the bellows for light leaks... At night with a flashlight inside the camera, see if any light leaks out.

It shouldn't matter, but you are loading the reel with the emulsion facing inwards, and the back of the negative up against the arms?

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    It shouldn't matter, but you are loading the reel with the emulsion facing inwards, and the back of the negative up against the arms?
    yes - im vigilant on this because that is what I though the problem was initially.

I once knew someone who always kept his 8x10 camera under a dark cloth when the holder was in the camera, even when pulling out the slide and making the exposure. Might try it in the sun with and without to see if it is a light leak between the holder and camera if you haven’t found any other leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    I once knew someone who always kept his 8x10 camera under a dark cloth when the holder was in the camera, even when pulling out the slide and making the exposure. Might try it in the sun with and without to see if it is a light leak between the holder and camera if you haven’t found any other leaks.
    Doesn't every wise LF phot6ographer do this?

Quote Originally Posted by davewell View Post
    On closer inspection, the marks only occur on outdoors photography ie in full light. I don't seem to get the markings when taking indoor portraits and still life shots. They also seem to only occur on landscape orientation and not when the camera is in vertical/portrait mode.
    Well, that describes a light leak pretty well, and one related to the back of the camera (since that's the part that changes for landscape). The fact that it's consistent across the entire negative is a bit peculiar-- ordinarily, it would be brighter at the entry point of the leak, and dimmer farther away.

The intrepid has a rotating back, correct? Check with a flashlight and see if maybe there's a gap that opens up a bit when it's in landscape orientation. Whatever it is, it's going to be very dim-- you may need a very bright light.

The light leak does widen across the film, consistent with light shining in from a leak.

I do

I've never done that, going on 32 years of LF. Never been a problem for me. There is no reason not to do it.