Thread: Beseler 45S Head issues

Beseler 45S Head issues

So if the dicroic part of the head with the bulb is mechanical, what's the circuit board for? Couldn't I just wire the bulb socket directly to a plug and run it to a timer to light it up and use it?

Not sure why this thing is so complicated. It's a light bulb and mechanically controlled colored glass with a fan.

John Olsen

Re: Beseler 45S Head issues

Quote Originally Posted by Qwntm View Post
    So if the dicroic part of the head with the bulb is mechanical, what's the circuit board for? Couldn't I just wire the bulb socket directly to a plug and run it to a timer to light it up and use it?

Not sure why this thing is so complicated. It's a light bulb and mechanically controlled colored glass with a fan.
    Maybe, but it does have a voltage regulator so the light doesn't fluctuate when your neighbor turns on his microwave. Also, the lamp is an 82 volter, don't know what happens when 120 volts hit it. You might want to be cautious here.

Good points. Thanks, that helps a lot. The fan comes on but I get nothing else. I don't even get the white light indicator when I move the switch, so I'll start with the switch. Actually I'll start by cleaning it out, the inside is covered in serious dusty grunge... the cockroaches need dune buggys to get around!

It may take a few days to get a response, but you can ask Beseler. They were helpful recently when I had alignment issues.

That's what I did. As designed, the circuit board regulates the light output of the quartz halogen bulb. For mine, it runs only the fan. (Over-design.)

But to wire it directly to AC requires a rectifier of the proper size that can handle the amperage. The rectifier is spliced (in the correct direction) into one of the two wires leading to AC current. It has the effect of reducing the voltage from 110 volts to 83 volts. It probably also effectively makes the current DC. (That's what rectifiers do.)

I have a Zone VI compensating developing timer with extra sensors. So, I was also able to place the sensor in the path of light from the QH bulb reflected off a piece of aluminum.

It all works great together. I use my 45s for printing black and white negatives up to 4x5. If you're interested in specifics, we could communicate through the messaging system.

bulb is good?
    socket is clean?
    got any voltage at the socket?
    solder where the bulb wires hook to to the board are good?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    That's what I did. As designed, the circuit board regulates the light output of the quartz halogen bulb. For mine, it runs only the fan. (Over-design.)

But to wire it directly to AC requires a rectifier of the proper size that can handle the amperage. The rectifier is spliced (in the correct direction) into one of the two wires leading to AC current. It has the effect of reducing the voltage from 110 volts to 83 volts. It probably also effectively makes the current DC. (That's what rectifiers do.)

I have a Zone VI compensating developing timer with extra sensors. So, I was also able to place the sensor in the path of light from the QH bulb reflected off a piece of aluminum.

It all works great together. I use my 45s for printing black and white negatives up to 4x5. If you're interested in specifics, we could communicate through the messaging system.
    Once you get the bulb lit with the rectifier, what do you need the sensors for? Isn't the light output constant? I'm thinking all I need is a constant light and a fan. The rest is mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwntm View Post
    Once you get the bulb lit with the rectifier, what do you need the sensors for? Isn't the light output constant? I'm thinking all I need is a constant light and a fan. The rest is mechanical.
    Yeah, I think that definitely, just the direct connection would work. (Without the feedback loop.) I would splice in the rectifier, so that you can use the recommended quartz halogen bulbs. It's been years since I set this up. I'll see if I can find info on what I purchased.

At the same time, I think that adding a feedback loop is more than just sophistry. Bulbs wear in time, power can fluctuate, the light chamber temperature can vary and perhaps affect the intensity, etc. I had the sensor, and it was easy enough to add.

Be nice to find a nice 110v LED projector bulb and be done with it...

I started replacing the MR16 bulbs in my office track-lights with LED and they have horrible afterglow. Could not imagine them in an enlarger.