Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (possibly) taking the large jump

Re: (possibly) taking the large jump

Thanks alm for your replies, they are tremendously helpful to me, even though I realise some of you may find them repetitive. I expect that I will mostly be using b&w film, so I can live with the limited options on colour film.

I am currently looking into “light” monorails, as I find I will probably get most value for money with those, and as I am young and therefore should be able to walk a bit with one despite of the added weight, and because I will most likely mostly be using the camera for indoor portraits.

With that in mind, I would like to hear your opinions on the Sinar f2 and the horseman L45 which are the main contenders at the moment, provided you do not have better suggestions. I find it difficult to find out if it is possible to mount 5x7 backs on those two though, which i will probably want to do once I know the basics. I am also finding it difficult to find out what a good price for either of those would be?

I have also looked at the Arca Swiss F and discovery, as well as the Toho VX125, but those will probably be more expensive than what I am willing to pay at the moment.

The Very Biased Opinion would be the Sinar system. Sinar Norma is a much nicer camera than the F, F1 or F2. The Sinar P is an excellent studio-maybe but iffy of outdoors camera due to bulk-weight size. One of the greatest advantages of the Sinar system is interchangeability. From Norma to P and all in-between, common film format sizes of 4x5_5x7_8x10 is easily interchangeable. Sinar system imposed the least requirements on lenses as it can easily accommodate lenses in a# 5 shutter, BIG barrel lenses using the Sinar shutter and a variety of bag bellows as need. Sinar has a recessed lens board if ever needed (this would be trying to use a 38mm lens on 8x10 or similar). There is little if any limits on rail and bellows length. it is modular and essentially interchangeable with what is needed not too difficult to obtain due to the sheer number of Sinar cameras and accessories sold over the decades. They were the camera of choice for the majority of studio image makers that produced countless commercial-ad-and more images.

Sinar Norma, Sinar shutter, 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar in barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar Norma_500mm tele xenar.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	209275

Sinar wide angle and interchangeability.

Name:	5x7 Norma & P2, bag bellows.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	209276

Been and done the Horseman L camera, it is an excellent camera, excellent value and some what interchangeable with Sinar. Ergonomically, the lef handed controls on the L as delivered never worked that ok with me, but this can be easily flipped to being right hand. IMO, a better choice and lower cost than a Sinar F. Limitations, essentially a 4x5 only system, the 5x7 variant is very rare (had one) and the 8x10 version is good, not common and not low cost. Excellent value, excellent camera but system limited in many ways.

Arca Swiss is a mixed bag, their cameras are excellent, light weight, ergonomically GOOD, interchangeable and all those good things. Limitations are cost and accessories availability. The Arca Swiss 6x9 remains the favorite mini view camera for a very long list of reasons.

Toyo VX is hybrid worth considering, this was one of the last Toyo efforts to design-produce a small light weight monorail camera with fewer of the common monorail camera limitations. This is a GOOD camera that is often forgotten and neglected. Limitations are availability, cost, accessories and limited to 4x5.

Benice

Quote Originally Posted by ulf bech View Post
    I am currently looking into “light” monorails, as I find I will probably get most value for money with those, and as I am young and therefore should be able to walk a bit with one despite of the added weight, and because I will most likely mostly be using the camera for indoor portraits.

With that in mind, I would like to hear your opinions on the Sinar f2 and the horseman L45 which are the main contenders at the moment, provided you do not have better suggestions. I find it difficult to find out if it is possible to mount 5x7 backs on those two though, which i will probably want to do once I know the basics. I am also finding it difficult to find out what a good price for either of those would be?

I have also looked at the Arca Swiss F and discovery, as well as the Toho VX125, but those will probably be more expensive than what I am willing to pay at the moment.

Have 3 4x5 F2’s best bang for the buck

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post

For size comparisons, here's my 8x10 Eastman View 2D (1947), 5x7 Eastman View (1915), 4x5 Shen-Hao (modern) and 4x5 Crown Graphic (1954)

Attachment 209196

I have a Kodak 2d 8x10, Gundlach korona 5x7, and Chamonix 4x5. Talk about a coincidence!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a Kodak 2d 8x10, Gundlach korona 5x7, and Chamonix 4x5. Talk about a coincidence!Kent in SD
    I have an 8x10 2D (but use the Zone VI unless I need the extra couple inches of bellows the 2D has), a 5x7 Eastman View No.2 (my primary 5x7, but have a 5x7 Norma I never use), and a pre-WWII 4x5 Speed (but my go-to for 4x5 is a Gowland PocketView field monorail). Alas...what happened to one camera-one lens?!

From 1979 to 1981, I learned 4x5 using Calumet rail cameras as well as Linhof and Graphic Views. I have carried awkward heavy rail cameras too many miles (looking like a Sherpa with the 4x5 camera case strapped to the top of the Kelty). 99% of my work is landscape, so my choices are driven by that.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I haven't seen a Horseman 5x7 back in a long time. A Sinar F2 5x7 is easier to find, and thanks to the modularity, you can always get the Norma or P variety. The Arca Swiss is a fine option, though it wll be expensive. The Toyo VX125 is also a great option, though you will lose the advantage of its compactness when you add the 5x7 standard and back from a Toyo G. You might as well save on the money and get a Toyo D or G right from the beginning. The Toyo D is also quite compact when carried on its 6" rail.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Sinar Norma, Sinar shutter, 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar in barrel.

Name:	Sinar Norma_500mm tele xenar.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	209275Bernice
    WOW now that is a Norma cool forward lens mount. Love it. That 500mm Tele-Xenar is expensive even in barrel. Quite a great snag for you.

What a beefy lens mount. Did you thread the front of it? Amazing workmanship
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain