Thread: Is It Possible To Add An Ilford Multigrade 500 Head to an Omega Super Chromega D

Is It Possible To Add An Ilford Multigrade 500 Head to an Omega Super Chromega D

I am trying to build a large format darkroom. I like the idea of printing with an Ilford 500H multigrade head. I was able to pick up an Omega Super Chromega D Dichroic for practically nothing. It seems to be missing the Chromegatrol timer but it does have a large voltage stabilizer. Is it possible to buy just an Ilford Multigrade Head (500H) and attach it to the chassis and connect it to a RH DESIGNS ANALYSER 500 and then plug it into something like the stabilizer that came with the enlarger. Do you think that would work? Also is it difficult to attach the head to the chassis? How could I find more information on this topic?

Re: Is It Possible To Add An Ilford Multigrade 500 Head to an Omega Super Chromega

Ilford still has the instruction manual posted:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...ing-Manual.pdf

IIRC adapter kits were available for popular 4x5 enlarger chassis - likely just a few pieces that could be replicated in a machine shop if necessary. The 500H had its own dedicated controller and power supply units; afraid I have no idea whether it's possible to substitute alternatives. Perhaps someone else here has relevant direct experience.

Drew Wiley

Re: Is It Possible To Add An Ilford Multigrade 500 Head to an Omega Super Chromega

One should expect a dedicated power supply with any modern electronically-controlled enlarger head; otherwise, why buy it? When a timer function is not built-in, there will always be an accommodation to plug in an accessory one, provided it can handle the same peak rated wattage. An Analyzer/timer obviously has a supplementary function; but the same rules will apply. Look up its rated voltage and so forth first. Most items engineered for 4x5 enlarger usage in the US will be standard 115V input, or might have dual voltage compatibility for Euro usage too. Read the specs, ask the mfg.
    Physically mounting a Multigrade head to an Omega chassis should be easy if one has basic shop skills and equipment. Otherwise,
    buy the specified adapter or have a local machinist make one for you. Don't use anything flammable or dimensionally unstable like plywood.

I don't think you can use any other PSU with the MG500 head. If you could, then there'd be many people buying those PSU's up as the Ilford ones are becoming scarce.

You will need to use the MG500 PSU with either the RH Designs controller or the Ilford 500C/CPM controller.

Mike