Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a newer 4x5 camera for mostly landscape

Re: Seeking a newer 4x5 camera for mostly landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Michael, having viewed some of your work, I'd suggest the Linhof Technikardan ....which straddles the line between a field camera and a monorail. From your architectural photos i can see why you might be seeking more precision.
    The Technikardan has it's foibles too.....it's heavier than the MT's but much more flexible (in the right way).

Packing and unpacking require care too if you are to avoid damaging the bellows (especially at the corners).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Packing and unpacking require care too if you are to avoid damaging the bellows (especially at the corners).
    I simply remove the bellows when packing the camera away. It literally takes seconds to attach or detach them, and they can be safely stored separately in a Novoflex wrap or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Except newer ones have more movements then older ones and cam coupling a V or Master is much easier then an older version.
    I agree that it makes sense to get a V onwards (after 1963). If you really need the extra movements (architecture etc) then look at a Master from 1972 onwards. That’s still a multi decade window of used cameras which can be easily restored to new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    Hi Guys, I want to buy a "newer" large Format camera for 4x5.

Can you recommend me a Linhof or another camera?
    Light, Quick folding with Front and Back -> shift, tilt and swing possibility (mostly Landscape)

All the Best Michael
    How about a Horseman 45FA? It has nearly the same features as a Technika, but weighs only 2.4kg.

OK, you can only use Copal 0 and 1 lenses, up to 240mm, but you can focus up to 65mm without tools. For telephoto the Fujinon T 300 is sufficient. There are even extension boards to fit a Fujinon T 400 on the camera.

You have the technical adjustment on the back. The shift is geared, everything locks in the zero position. The focusing screen is bright.

The Horseman bellows are mostly bad today. But ecubuyonline on ebay has a very good Horseman bellows that costs 100 USD.

Only lenses with 46mm filter thread fit into the closed camera. Therefore you have to file in the focusing slider easily. But here are some very nice lenses: the Fujinon NW 105, 125, Fujinon A 180, Fujinon W 135 (single coated), Claron 150, ... these are all very light lenses. Together with a light carbon tripod you will have a very portable unit.

BTW. it's less expensive than a Technika. A good Horseman with a defective bellows costs about 500 USD. Add a new bellows for 100 USD and 250 USD for each lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    But ecubuyonline on ebay has a very good Horseman bellows that costs 100 USD.
    It may be luck of the draw, but I recently bought a bag bellows for my Technikardan from this seller and had a nightmare experience. First they sent me the wrong bellows entirely, then the replacement I eventually received had junk frames which fit into the standards very poorly. I demanded a return and refund. The whole process wasted 6 weeks of my time also.

Just putting that out there as a cautionary tale.

A Meridian B technical/press camera may be the best option. It is a very sturdy, US-Made late 1940s press camera with full movements, including back swing and tilt movements, die cast aluminum body, and a rangefinder. It's compact but sturdy. Avoid the A model, The B model is very full-featured and all-around better.

There's a rough copy currently on the auction site for $325, a fair price.

Here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meridian-B-...gAAOSwzwpdq2w5

Expect to pay another $175 to have it reconditioned, rangefinder repaired and calibrated, body CLA's

You seem to have contradictory wishes. A Linhof is not light, but quick. A Chamonix is light but not very quick. My personal experience with a used Technika is that the rangefinder mostly does not work properly, the plates to guide to rangefinder are not there or not the right one for the lenses you’ve got. So that makes him less quick too. A Master Technika or a V is a very nice package to travel with but in practice they are not that fast is my experience. I’m happy with my Chamonix F2 now, because large format is never quick in the first place. That’s why I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    You seem to have contradictory wishes. A Linhof is not light, but quick. A Chamonix is light but not very quick. My personal experience with a used Technika is that the rangefinder mostly does not work properly, the plates to guide to rangefinder are not there or not the right one for the lenses you’ve got. So that makes him less quick too. A Master Technika or a V is a very nice package to travel with but in practice they are not that fast is my experience. I’m happy with my Chamonix F2 now, because large format is never quick in the first place. That’s why I do it.
    Other then time or expense there is no reason For your Technika not having the proper cams. Service makes them very quickly for them very quickly for the V and Master.

Re: Linhof Techno or Master Technika Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Don't forget that there is basically no "new" large format lenses available anymore.
    This, definitely, hurts my naive hearth

I have been using a Technikardan for a number of years. I bought it for its versatility. There are many very fine cameras built - it depends what you want the camera to do. I shoot architecture (built form) and landscape the most. Prior to the Technikardan I had a couple of different rail cameras with fixed bellows. I could not get the perspective corrections that I wanted with these cameras - the standard bellows would not allow for the wide angle lens corrections that I wanted. I have used from 58mm to 450mm lenses on the Technikardan. The Technikardan bellows can be ruined by careless folding of the camera - the bellows are expensive. I take my regular bellows off for storage - 4 very quick flip latches and its off. The technikardan in not the lightest camera made - but nor are all of the lenses I use. The Technikardan can use up to a #3 shutter without issue. Larger shutters like #4 and #5 don't really fit - I would use a different camera (I use them on a 8x10 camera).
    The Technika camera is a great camera too - if I was shooting mid-range lenses and not needing massive camera movements it would be my next choice. The Wista cameras and others are similar at a more reasonable priced. There are also very fine rail cameras like the Arca Swiss -and Sinar cameras.
    It all comes down to what lenses/shutters you want to use, how far you are hiking with it (weight), if you want a bag-bellows or not, how long the bellows is for longer lenses, and cost. Also I would check out the lenses that you want to use. Several large newer lenses flare out at the end of the elements and may not fit the opening of a particular camera.