Once in the Columbia Gorge I prefocused my 8x10, installed the lenscap, ducked under the waterproof Goretex darkcloth, got darn near under that damn big fall, popped the cap and instantly tripped the shutter, and got a bit of a classic shot, certainly a unique one. It was by definition the last of that particular vacation, which I premeditated and saved for the last day. The camera itself could simply be air dried out. But the lens went right away into a portable airtight dessication box containing freshly baked-out silica gel, and stay in there another two weeks, which I bring along on Northwestern trips for just such occasions.
Winds are a different issue. I've had both my 8x10 and 4x5 folders tossed by sudden Spring wind gusts more than 30 ft, Ries tripod n'all, several time. Lucky for me that in each instance they landed on a lupine bush or soft little juniper bush.
Didn't have the same luck with my Sinar monorail during a severe wind storm in the Wind River Range. One of the front standard columns snapped after the crash. So I simply locked the system down and used rear rise n fall instead. That worked perfectly the balance of the trip. When I finally reached a town and pay phone I called Sinar-Bron in Noi Joisey, and a replacement column rod was already in my mailbox back here when I got home a couple days later - for a price, of course; nothing was cheap Sinar-wise beck in them thar days, but their service was great.