Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film changing bag or changing tent?

Re: Film changing bag or changing tent?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Just a thought. If you buy film in twenty sheet boxes, five holders might be easier to handle. That way, when you finish the first ten sheets (five holders), you can insert the second ten film sheets in one session rather than leaving 2 sheets for a second tent use. If you buy a ten sheet box, you can do all ten sheets in one session and not have two sheets left over.
    As long as you get the next box before you need to reload again, it doesn’t really matter whether you have 4 or 5 or any number holders, really. You basically always have enough sheets to load all your holders (just need to get 2 boxes in the tent sometimes :-)

David Schaller

While you may have gone ahead in another direction, I will just say that it is easy enough to black out a bathroom at night, and sit on the floor and load holders. For the price of a tent, you can buy more holders, and a couple of trays to put on the floor of the tub or shower stall to hold the film box in one tray, and the holders in the other.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... and if you opt for a changing bag, buy the biggest you can get. I’ve only once loaded Film holders in anyplace other a changing bag... since 1982. Never found it an inconvenience or difficult or dust-prone. It takes some shuffling, though. I also load Patterson and Stearman tanks in changing bag. THOSE were a problem due to shear bulk but a bigger bag got that issue under control. My favorite changing bag is now the large Paterson. Enough room but rather tight arm holes. To ensure that dust is not much of a problem I only load and unload at home and never in the field. I’d rather load a bunch of holders in a clean environment than limit to a few and risk dust.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I prefer a tent but my budget was a bag. Then I found a reflector on top of a fiberglass pole; intended to mark the edge of your driveway or your mailbox so you don't go astray while driving at night. I cut the sticks to the right length (4 to 6 inches longer than the flat dimensions of the bag) and wrapped a ball of duct tape around the ends. Put them in the bag and the ends into the bag's seams so they bow upward and presto! Instant tent! Works great for me (4x5 and 5x7)
    Thanks fot the idea. I combined it with the following: in Holland it is very hard to find nice coffee tables, so my wife and I already thought it would be better to make one ourselves. The other day I made one with a piece of ceder wood from the barn. It’s about 40x30cm with legs of 12,5cm high. It fits perfectly in my changing bag and I have more ease now with changing films. I hardly ever change at location, but blinding my darkroom costs me more time than using this bag. I can watch a netflix episode with my wife in the meantime

As a user of both, I do prefer the tent, especially for 5x7 & 8x10.